Thirty Six • It doesn't leave

"So you loved her way back then, and never said anything? That's pretty dumb, if you ask me." Poppy said with a huff.

"Well I wasn't exactly an expert when it came to talking to girls. Or anyone for that matter." Newt replied in his own defense.

"Still. All these years and you didn't even bother to try?" Poppy asked, as the two continued on their way.

"Like I said. I was a dingus back at school." Newt said as he looked away from the girl.

"Still. You loved my sister and she loved you and nothing happened other than that one Christmas? Sounds like Hypogriff turd, to me." Poppy said as she drew close to Newt. A chilling wind whipped through the air and carried a slight ashy scent.

"Do you smell that?" Newt asked.

"Yeah. I think so? But on to more pressing things. Why didn't you make a move!" Poppy hounded.

"I was too young to know it was love, alright. I know know and that's what matters so would you stop asking?" Newt said, a bit flustered.

Poppy only drew out a long sigh in response. He was difficult to get any information out of. All she wanted to know was if he would really love and respect her sister. Poppy was really only trying to help.

After a time of walking Newt stopped.

"I was expelled from Hogwarts, Poppy. That's why I didn't make any changes to our relationship. Your sister was a Prefect. She had everything she needed. She didn't need a creature carrying, messy haired, freckle covered goof like me to ruin things for her." Newt said as he looked at the ground in a seemingly reminiscent way.

"She loved you and your creatures. She still does." Poppy mumbled in a low voice.

"Wait? She does? Hair, freckles and all?" Newt asked.

"For Merlin's sakes! Yes! Newt she might have changed, but her feelings haven't. She's still the same witch from Hogwarts." Poppy replied almost shouting.

Newt's face read blank. He hadn't a response. He had a hunch it would prove true, yet doubt clouded his thoughts on how to move forward. His past was mostly a blur and his present looked relatively positive. Now after years of memories and hope his future looked bright. He could finally have someone who understood him.

"Your case is opening." The young girl said, as she pointed to the case.

"That Niffler of mine won't listen. Always on the hunt for all things shiny." Newt said with a shake of his head.

"Your beasts are a bit like you, Mr Scamander. They traveled far from home and yet carry it on their back. Knowing that the world outside waits for no one. I kind of admire that. My sister's kind of like that too. Always a go getter, never a go taker." Poppy said with a smile and a slight shrug.

"I suppose you're right." Newt said as he picked up his pace to catch up to the girl.

"Love never really leaves, Newt. It just becomes part of who you are. That's what my mum always said. She and Pa were in love, it was always there. Even if you couldn't see it." Poppy said with a sad smile.

"Let's keep things happy, shall we?" Newt said, as he patted the girl's head.

"Yeah! Now let's go get my sister!" Poppy cheered happily as she dragged Newt along by his sleeve.

"Do you even know where you're going?" Newt asked with a laugh.

"Nope. No idea." She replied with a bright smile.

Everything was going to turn out fine. It wouldn't be long before it was all over, and she would be able to see her sister truly happy for once. That is, if Newt made her happy.

Vote if you liked it. Thank you all for reading! My birthday is coming up soon Lol!