11

Hurt

Hurt

Twelve Years Later

"Nick! We have to leave in 10 minutes," Natalie called up the stairs, running her hand through her long, dark hair, twirling it into ringlets.

"I'm coming, Mom," Nicholas called down to her.

Natalie sighed and walked into the living room to see what was on the news. Reporters were still talking about the whole disease thing. Natalie honestly thought that it was irrelevant. She was frustrated that it kept showing up everywhere. At the time, it was only on the west coast. King County wasn't being affected, so, Natalie could honestly care less. She felt Shane's arms wrap around her waist from behind. She sighed and leaned into his chest. His badge was cold against her shoulder.

"You had to deal with this crap yet?" Natalie asked, nodding towards the TV, where a man who was 'infected' was shown attacking people in the streets.

Shane sighed and shook his head. Natalie worried about him having to deal with people like that. She wondered what kind of drug was making them act like that.

"It's just a few isolated cases in Cali. Probably some guy in LA has a synthetic drug lab," Shane sighed.

Nick came running down the stairs with his backpack on.

"Slow down bud, it's just school," Shane joked, ruffling Nick's hair.

"Come on, Nick, we have to go pick up Carl," Natalie said, directing her son towards the door.

Nick walked out the door and went to get in the car. Natalie stayed in the house for a moment longer, not wanting to leave Shane's warm embrace just yet.

"He's looking more and more like you every day," Natalie said with a sigh, thinking of Nick.

"Yeah?" Shane asked, grinning.

"Be good out there, today," Natalie said, turning to face him.

"Always am," Shane sighed.

Natalie kissed him gently before letting go of his arms and walking backwards out the door.

"I love you," she said with a smile.

"I love you too," Shane said, strapping his holster around his hips.

Natalie drove to the Grimes household to pick up Carl. She and Lori had a carpool schedule all worked out. Carl waved to his mom before hopping in the back seat of Natalie's car. Natalie waved to Lori, who stood on the porch, before driving off.

"Mom, why do I have to sit in the back seat still?" Nick asked.

"Because you're too young to sit up front," Natalie said quickly.

"Dad lets me," Nick said with a sigh.

"He better not," said Natalie, adjusting the rear view mirror so she could see the boys in the back and so Nick could see the look she was giving him.