Chapter Five

Phoebe sauntered over swinging her hips. Her long tan legs carried her gracefully, leaving me wondering why she didn't pursue modelling seeing she was a stunning five feet ten inches tall. Phoebe's thick brown curls rested on her shoulders effortlessly and every strand of hair stayed perfectly in place. She pursed her glittery pink lips and toyed mindlessly with the numerous rings she wore on her fingers. The girl also had a thing for body piercings as well and had multiple ear piercings and a small heart tattooed on the inside of her arm.

Her dress was a bit crimped and she smoothened it out with her palms still looking quite curiously at me. I stood transfixed in place only blinking every few seconds, then stared back out the shop window after Blade who was already gone. She raised an eyebrow questioningly and chewed on her favourite mint gum slowly and watched quietly for a second before she spoke.

"Who's the guy you were talking to?" She asks curiously but with an obvious tint of excitement in her voice and a smile now on her lips.

I scoffed and turned my attention back to where I was in the flower shop before giving her a sharp reply.

"Someone I just added to my murder list."

She only glared looking a bit confused for a bit but didn't say anything else. She seemed to realise I was in a sour mood and thought it'd be better not to say anything to further piss me off. Not that I would get pissed and attack her or anything, because she was actually one of the only girls I could remotely stand to be around.

Grinding my teeth, I got the scooper and cleaned away the sand that the scumbag had dumped on the ground at my feet out of nothing but pure bitterness. Shoveling away the last remaining bit, I headed back to doing nothing in a very unpleasant mood. The only reason I showed up here anyways was that I was being paid to work which I spent very little time doing.

A few men came in to get last minute gifts for some lady they were probably taking out on a date or something. They didn't pay much attention to me and I was grateful. They didn't even seem to notice I was there since Phoebe was of better assistance than I was anyways. A couple ladies who had dropped by scoffed at my tepid manner and again I was forced to leave Phoebe to do all the work. I escaped around back taking a seat in the little office Helen sometimes used. I found some stationary in the storage closet and busied myself doing drawings and sketches of the many ways I was going to get my revenge on that piece of garbage. I was good at portraits so it turned out pretty decent and I spent time making sure to add every little detail.

The rest of the day rolled by pretty quickly. I was relieved when the clock struck four and I could leave this hell hole. This was the bargain Helen and I made, I worked on weekends like most kids my age, except mine was torture, in return for cash and staying out of trouble. Like I had asked to be kicked out of four different schools in three years.

It was approximately a year and three months since I was shipped back halfway across the country to live with Helen. Thankfully I'd never have to bless my sight upon York Castle High ever again, but I did have to show up at John Wickerman first thing Monday morning of the second semester.

What a joke. Like they really think I'd even show.

"Leaving already?" Phoebe asks rather inquisitively.

"I need a change of scenery," was all I replied.

She nodded understandingly and I got my satchel and walked out of the flower shop.

Finally, fresh air instead of all that perfumed garbage.

Tucking my hands into my pocket I started walking, hissing under my breath.  Helen, along with Phoebe's and Leah's cars were in the parking lot.