Chapter Thirty-Two

Read MBL for free on Inkitt -the remaining chapters have been uploaded today 5th August 2021 :) 

To say I was shocked and caught off guard would be an understatement. But on the other hand, I would be a fool and a liar if I said I didn't like it. I did, a bit too much. The fact that he made the first move and the fact that it showed he did have some kind of feeling for me inside him was one of the best realisations ever. 

And then I realised that I was kissing him back, my hands wrapped around his neck. And then I realised there was something wet at our feet and then I didn't need to realize anything because my mind was purely robbed when something crashed down on both of us, pulling us apart, and vanished as quickly as it came.

I sat up quickly, but not quick enough as another wave came onto the shore, drenching us again.

"Jesus Christ," I snapped, getting up and wiping my hair out of my face as I heard Darius laughing as he got up after me.

"This is why you don't wear business shoes," I told him. Those poor shoes were probably ruined. I stepped back getting as far away from the water as I could. Stupid tide. Did it have to come then and ruin the moment?

"Oh well worth it."

"What?" I asked turning around as I saw a figure in the distance running.

"Look what I found!" screamed Adrian, holding something up in his hand as I wrapped my arms around my waist, shifting feet to keep warm.

"What is that?" I asked, looking at Darius who was looking just as confused as me.

"I think it's a jellyfish."

What? No. I looked back at Adrian who was coming closer by the second. Why was he holding a jellyfish. Isn't it bloody poisonous?

It was a jellyfish.

"Touch it," said Adrian enthusiastically, shoving it into my face. The look on his face crossed between a creep and a five-year-old kid that was way too happy. I felt Darius's hand around my waist, pulling me against him.

"Adrian, put it back where you got it from."

I nodded in agreement. It was a round disc of jelly sitting on his right palm, where were its tentacles?

"I can't keep it?" he asked and Darius sighed, rubbing his forehead fustration like he was dealing with some little kid, which in fact Adrian was. 

"Just put it back," I said, shaking my head and he frowned.

"Party poopers," he muttered under his breath, walking back toward the other side and I sighed turning around. "Is he always like this?"

Darius shrugged but I could see a faint smile on his lips as he watched Adrian walk off before looking down at me, making my heart skip a beat. "It gets worse with old age," he joked. 

He continued. "Come on, let's go before you get another cold."

"What about him?" I asked looking back to see Adrian still walking. Was he actually going all the way back to put it where he found it?

"He'll live," said Darius, picking up my shoes from where I left them and getting in the car.

"You know, this is the second time I got dunked by waves because of you," I said, shivering a bit when I got in. I was grateful that at least this time, our ride was warm, really warm inside. 

"What's your favourite colour?"

I looked up from the window, confused and surprised at the same time.