Draco Malfoy x Lauren

Requested by: lgunicorn

(A/N Happy birthday Lauren! I hope I wrote this in time. (-: )

At Hogwarts, where there was very little adult supervision and over a thousand teenagers all under one roof, crazy things were bound to happen. When Lauren left the castle after dinner and ran through the snow without a coat with her friends, she didn't expect to find the snow stained with blood.

She sat frozen in the snow where she'd fallen, staring at the blood that had accumulated around her. The students around her were freaking out. Three of them had run off to find a professor to help. One of them was crying uncontrollably. But there was one boy who was completely calm. He crouched in the snow, speaking softly and reaching out towards her with his hand. 

She clutched her right hand by the wrist with her left. She still wasn't sure why. Her right hand stung from the cold, but no more than her left. She seemed too afraid to let go though, which is why she didn't take the boy's hand as he reached towards her.

He was Draco Malfoy and Lauren didn't know him well. She wasn't sure at that moment why he had come along. He had probably insisted, and they had all been too indifferent to object.

"You need to go to Madam Pomfrey," He said slowly and calmly.

"Draco?" She questioned, looking up at him with a puzzled look like a child. "Why is there blood everywhere? What happened?"

"You need to go to Madam Pomfrey," He insisted, this time slower. He took another step forward, his boot stepping in the blood soaked snow.

Lauren jumped up and shoved him back. "Don't step in it, that's gross."

He laughed lightly, but the worried look in his eyes wasn't affected. "You're stepping in it too."

She looked down, suddenly more aware of her surroundings. "That's... disgusting on so many levels." She immediately stepped away from the blood, then lifted up her shoe to see that they were now stained crimson. 

She frowned. "Those are my favorite shoes."

Draco put a hand on the small of her back, pushing her gently and gesturing towards the castle with his other hand. "I'll make sure you get another pair, just please go to Madam Pomfrey."

"Wait, why? Why do I need to go to Madam Pomfrey?" She turned back and looked at the snow where she was previously sitting. A trail of blood had followed her as she walked away. "Is that... my blood?"

"You cut your hand," He said, gulping and looking down at her right hand. "It's not as bad as it looks, but I think you need to go to Madam Pomfrey."

"If it wasn't bad I wouldn't need to go to Madam Pomfrey," She said and finally looked down at her hand. "Holy! Not bad my arse! I think that's muscle!"

She used her left hand to pull at the tender skin and open the wound further, inspecting the inside. In the cold she couldn't feel any difference in pain, but Draco cringed at the sight of more blood pouring out and the sound of her skin squishing against the liquid.

"That's just more blood. I think you hit a major artery. Please, let me take you to Madam Pomfrey."

"I'm not going to object. Damn that's bad." She stared down at her own hand in awe. How could one possibly have done so much damage and still not feel it?

Draco gladly pushed her along with his right hand and held her left hand with his left for stability. Every few steps he looked down at the snow again, as though checking for obstacles or danger, or maybe just looking at the blood dripping down along her leg and in the snow.

"What even happened?" She said, finally looking Draco properly in the face.

"I have no idea," He said, looking slightly guilty. "One minute we were all running and throwing snow. I heard you yell and then... then there was blood."

"Do you not like blood?" She said, suddenly feeling self conscious about the way she was holding her hand up. She clenched her fist to hide the wound and stuck in behind her back, but that only made more blood drip out from it.

"Don't do that," He scolded, not unlike a mother. "I don't mind blood, but it's seeing people in pain that gets me."

He stopped to lean over and take her hand in his. He uncurled her fingers tenderly, staring at the blood under her fingernails and along her hand. Lauren hissed, finally feeling the pain inside the warmer castle. "Sorry, sorry," He said. Draco started to walk faster, his eyes darting between the hallway in front of them and her hand.

Madam Pomfrey had her fixed up in no time. Magic tended to help with that sort of thing. She scolded Lauren and warned her to be more careful, but she didn't sound as angry as Draco. Madam Pomfrey didn't have the same glint in her eyes either. 

"Are you alright Draco?" Lauren teased. He sat in the bed next to her, looking particularly pale and worried. "You look like you were the one that was getting stitched up."

He cleared his throat, gave her a small awkward smile, shook his head, and composed himself. "No no, I'm quite alright." He straightened out his robes to busy his hands. "Are you?"

"Never been better," She said jokingly. He chuckled under his breath. It was quiet and strange but Lauren liked the way he laughed.

"I knew I could make you laugh," She said triumphantly. 

"It's not hard, you make me laugh all the time."

"Really? I never noticed." She said and Draco got a sad look in his eye. He stared down at his hands in his lap.

She scolded herself under her breath. "I guess now I can't go to the Hogsmeade trip."

"Why not? It's not over yet."

"But all the students already left and you need a teacher with you."

Draco stood up and took her good hand with his. "C'mon, there's no reason you should miss out on the fun. We'll have a word with Snape." He had a pleasant look on his face and his eyes were soft. "I'm one of his favorites, but don't tell anyone."

Lauren laughed, and just the sight of it made his smile wider. "You're really funny sometimes Draco. I like it."

He blushed and looked down at his feet, but she swore she could feel his hand tightened around her. Now he wasn't dragging her along by the hand. They were walking besides one another, and their hands just happened to be together.

"Actually," Lauren stopped in the middle of the hallway, looking down it thoughtfully. "I don't think we should bother Professor Snape. I don't like Hogsmeade all to much anyway."

"Oh," Draco said, no longer smiling. His hand slipped slightly away from hers.

She leaned forward in a determined way and took his hand back. "What I mean was that we should just do something else. Just you and me. No snow though, I'd rather not risk that."

Draco laughed louder than ever before and her smile was brighter than she thought was possible. "I would very much like that," He stepped forward and pulled her along. "C'mon, I know just the place."