8 - Carlie

Carlie

So, Whit kinda screwed up. Who could guess something like that would happen?! Miss Perfectly Flawless Perfection! She never took a dump outside the potty. She was so damn flawless about her grades, popularity, house chores and friends, that I kinda felt, sometimes, she was some screwed-up robot from out of space, coming to alienate us all.

"This is ridiculous. I'm not a kid!" I heard my sister cry as she and Daddy came into the house.

Jackie gave me a look, and we both whistled. The two of them came into the kitchen and Dad followed right behind them. He sighed and rolled his eyes as he looked at us. So, it was that bad...

"Actually, yes, you are," Dad said, and when Whit gave him one of her blue 'You're dead to me' look, he held up his hands in defense.

"Look, honey, you know what we both think about this" Daddy said, rubbing his eyes with the palms of his hands.

"I won't wear no fucking bracelet!" Whitney roared, and Daddy goggled his eyes.

"Go to your room. That kind of language is not accepted in this house, and you need to calm down. I'll call for dinner" Daddy said, kissing aunt Jackie.

Whitney obeyed, her feet stomped dramatically as she climbed the stairs. The four of us jolted when we heard her close the door loudly.

"That was intense..." Jackie mumbled, getting up and drinking the rest of her coffee "What did the doctor say?"

"That it could have been bad, but if she eats right and keeps her insulin routine, she'll be fine," Dad said, and both Jackie and I took deep breaths.

"You know, about the diabetic bracelet..." Jackie started, and Dad made her signals behind Daddy so she wouldn't talk about it "I think you should try and persuade her."

"With all due respect, Jack, she's our daughter, not yours" Daddy grunted, and both Dad and I swallowed hard.

Jackie frowned a little, and I felt my throat tight with emotion as I saw her face drop.

"You're right..."

"Jack, wait..." Daddy started, but she had already grabbed her purse and quickly left by the back door.

"Great safe, DeMarcus." Dad teased but was also frowning "Her gay ex-husband reminds her of how lonely she is in her forties. You outdid yourself."

Daddy cringed and shoved his hands in his jeans' pockets. Without another word, he left the kitchen, his feet stomping as loudly as Whitney's.

"We have more drama over here than any soap opera," I told Dad, and he chuckled, messing up my hair.