CHAPTER TEN.

chapter ten — $20
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." — Albert Einstein

———

EDITED: December 9th, 2020
Spencer's POV

TESSA HADN'T COME BACK FROM the bathroom, and I could quite obviously heard pacing, and so I finally get the nerve to go knock on the door and ask if she was doing okay.

      "Hey, Tess, you okay in there? I hear pacing," I asked, knocking lightly on the wooden door with a softly formed fist.

      "Oh, yeah," Tessa replied, cracking open the door of the bathroom, revealing her now wearing my shirt, and compared to her, it's humongous on her slim figure. "I was just getting ready, to sleep."

      She stepped out of the bathroom, her frail footsteps creating the softest noises, and I quickly slid out of her way, and she nearly jumped onto the bed.

      "Tired?" I questioned, smiling at the gorgeous girl in front of me, a toothy grin.

      "Just a bit," she commented, shrugging her shoulders in the slightest bit. "Although, it's only midnight, man, I could go for a drink, this case is kicking my butt."

      "You know," I began, moving over from the door of the bathroom over towards the bed. "Usually the team goes for drinks after every few cases, you should join, most of the time I don't go, however."

      I joined her on the bed, but I don't forcibly jump into it like a kid in a hotel room for the first time nor curl up into a tiny ball like Tessa had, just taking a simple seat on the corner of it.

      "That's awesome!" She exclaimed, but then she allowed a small yawn to escape her lips. She laid her book softly on the nightstand next to her, and pulled the blanket so it was now draped over her shoulders. I do the same, but before I do so, I shut off the tall floor lamp that was next to me.

      It was now fully dark, I couldn't even see Tessa's face when it was only a few inches in front of me. And I blinked several times to allow my eyes to adjust to the sudden darkness, but it was comforting.

      "Hey, Spencer?" Tessa whisper3: after a few minutes of silence, except for both the breathing of Tessa and I.

      "Yes?"

      "You know," she giggled gently to herself, and I tilted my head closer towards the pillow. "You owe me 20$."

      "Why?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, pursing my pink lips out in the slightest.

      "You do have muscles," she moved closer to me, where I can feel her breathe on my neck, and her index and middle fingers poked at my stomach. "You have abs, I seen."

      Thank God, she cannot see in the dark.

•••

      Ding! Ding!

      I groaned ever so loudly, why does my stupid alarm have to interrupt my best dreams? I cracked open my left eye, which wasn't covered by the pillow I was using unlike my right eye, and look around the room, confused.

      I reluctantly lift my head up from the very conformity of the pillow, and saw an empty spot on the bed next to me.

      Where's Tessa?

      "Hey, sleeping beauty," I heard a voice echo throughout the hotel room, and I swung my head over my shoulder to glance up at her — Tessa.

      I finally forced myself up off the bed, or where my legs dangled from the side at least, and see Tessa, still in her pajamas and my t-shirt, with two coffee mugs in her hand.

      "Tessa," I rubbed my eyes in an attempt at waking myself up, but it didn't seem to be working.

      "Here," she gently placed the coffee mug on my lap, her fingers brush mine, and I dropped her gaze while staring at the dark liquid. "You okay?"

      I nodded without muttering a word, and took a sip of the warm, yet amazing, coffee, and I was entirely grateful that Tessa made it for me.

      "Good, because we have a bastard to catch," Tessa smiled, setting her coffee mug on the wooden nightstand. She started to walk away, towards the bathroom, and within a minute or so I heard the shower begin to run.

      I should get ready myself, but since I don't take showers in the morning, I only swiftly changed into black pants and a light blue sweater with a black coat over it. I ruffled my bed hair, until it looks a little better, at least.

      After changing, I switched on the TV to watch the morning news and take the last few sips of the coffee Tessa made me. And not much later, Tessa waltzed out of the bathroom with the ends of her fawn hair curled. She was wearing a dress today, a flower, flowing sundress, although it looks a lot more professional than a usual one, she looks beautiful.

      "I like the, uh, dress," I can't look her in the eyes as I awkwardly cough afterwards.

      "Thank you," she replied, walking past me to her own cup of coffee that was still left on the nightstand. "It's only six-fifteen, do you want to run to the cafe across the street?"

      "Yes!" I jumped up immediately, and I immediately realized I sounded much too excited, so I tried to relax myself and sheepishly rubbed the back my neck. "I mean, sure, if you want too?"

      "I wouldn't ask if I didn't want to go, Spence."