Chapter 8: No More Hiding

Two weeks later –

The past few weeks were a struggle. After things went down between Spot and I our interactions have been tenser. I have tried to avoid him at all costs. However, it doesn't really help that our rooms are right next to each other and we share a bathroom. Plus, he makes me stick by him 24/7 when we are selling our papes, so he can keep an eye on me. Speaking of which, I have been as patient as I possibly can be, but I haven't been able to sell all my papes! That, on top of the Spot situation, has not helped me with fitting in with the other newsies. Most of the newsies don't take me seriously at all. It's way worse than 'Hattan was. The Brooklyn newsies cat call me and kiss at me. I just want to punch them, but I know that that will only make things worse between Spot and I.

On the bright side I suppose I can now call Ace and Sunny my friends. They kind of remind me of Race and Crutchy when I'm with them. The past couple of weeks they have tried to help me out and give me pointers when it comes to selling – not that it did any good. They also just kind of look out for me when it comes to other newsies and Spot. Without those two I probably would have been soaked quite a few times by Spot already.

I thought about all this as I laid in my bed awaiting a scorning yell from Spot. The sunlight slipped through the drapes that covered the window facing my bed. It decorated the floor and I stared at the single, solid strip of gold.

"Mys, don't make me drag yous outa bed!" Spot yelled from the bathroom as he stepped out of the shower. I rolled my eyes and slid out of bed before my laziness made the situation any worse. My bare feet hit the floor and I instantly shivered from the cool air hitting me. I scratched the top of my head, rustling my hair, and slowly trudged over to the window. My hand gently grasped the edge of the drape. I threw my hand back to revile the ocean view. The sun shimmered on the water. It was so bight that it could blind someone. I stared out the window at the beautiful scene for a couple minutes before stumbling over towards my dresser. I pulled out tan pair of trousers and a black and white plaid shirt and threw them on my bed. I slipped my night shirt off, over my hips, and let it fall to the floor. I placed a foot under the edge of it, kicked it up into the air, and grabbed it. I threw the shirt on my bed, next to my clean clothes and began to dress.

Once I finished dressing, I grabbed my bandage and headed towards the bathroom for the painful process. I delicately wrapped my tender chest and quickly buttoned up my shirt as Spot enter the bathroom to hang up his towel.

"Let's go. Wes need to leave in five" he said firmly looking at me before exiting. I glared right back, but didn't say anything. To be honest I'm pretty scared to say anything around him. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth. Then I braided my silky hair, wrapped it in a bun on top of my head, and placed my newsie cap over it. I flipped the light switch off and raced through my room and down the stairs. At the foot of the stairs I stopped short nearly running into Spot who appeared as if he was just going to yell for me to hurry again. I smirked as I slipped past him and directly to Ace and Sunny.

"Well, well if it isn't Sleepin' Beauty" Ace said teasing me.

"Haha" I said coldly smirking at him.

"Hows it rollin' Mys?" Sunny chimed in patting my back. I grinned up at him.

"Swell Sunny!" I glanced toward Spot, who marched towards us, pimp cane in hand and stood in the doorway. He whistled sharply to catch everyone's attention. The room immediately quieted down.

"Let's go sell some papes!" he hollered and smirked. His newsies responded by whooping back and heading towards the door. Spot glanced my direction and nodded at me – his sign that I need to stick by him – as he passed through the door.