Twenty Eight

"It's my turn now!" I announced one afternoon as Phil walked into the dorm mumbling angrily under his breath.

"Huh?" He said, throwing his bag onto the ground and sighing heavily.

"Time to meet my parents."

"I've already met them."

"You only met my mum, and I reckon a fresh start might be a good idea as that event could have gone better. Come on, it's your duty remember."

"Right. Cool. Fine." He muttered.

I frowned. "Hey," I said, sinking down beside him. "What's wrong?"

"It's fine. It's my fault, don't worry about it. I'm just a massive idiot."

"Hey! Phil, what happened? Seriously?" I wrapped my arms around his shoulders.

He sighed heavily. "I failed my art coursework."

"What?!" I gasped. "But your art's amazing!"

"I just didn't get anything finished, I don't even know I just didn't do it. I guess I just got so distracted what with everything that happened, you know. I just sort of wandered in there with half a folder like oh, I haven't done anything. Why haven't I done anything?" He buried his face in his hands.

I rubbed his back, biting my lip. "Is there really nothing you can do? Like, can you not finish it all and ask for a remark?"

"No," he sighed. "That's it, it's all been sent off to be moderated now. It's like 60%, I've basically failed the whole exam. Oh God."

I opened and closed my mouth a few times, wishing I knew what to say. "Hey," I said lamely. "We'll figure something out. Don't worry. It's not like the end of the world or anything, we can sort this."

He laughed hollowly, leaning his head into my shoulder. "There's nothing you can do, it was my fault and it's done now. Let's just go see your parents."

I bit my lip. "You really don't have to. Like we can just go to bed and watch Game of Thrones instead, seriously we'll go another time." I kissed the top of his head.

"No it's fine I want to go. I'd like some fresh air."

"You sure?"

"Mmm hmm."

"Kay. I'll call my mum."

I hugged him again, sighing into the berry scent of his shampoo and furrowing my brow. Maybe I'd ask my mum. She always knew what to do.

*

"Well, surely Phil should just pledge for mitigating circumstances?" My mum's eyes were wide with concern as we spoke in whispers in the kitchen. "I mean those poor boys dying wasn't his fault!"

"I didn't think of that actually." I frowned. "Do you think that would work?"

"Of course! It's only coursework so it's internal anyway, they'll give him more time. I'm sure of it. Oh, poor Phil he must be really upset about this, what with his parents being artists and all that. You should ring up the college. Sort it all out for him. He seems so sweet and it would be a lovely thing to do."

"Yeah, that's a really good idea! So he doesn't have to deal with all the stress stuff."

"Exactly." Mum smiled at me. "Go do it now before he has to tell his parents."

"Wait - what no, what?"

"Ask for the exam office and just explain what happened, I'm sure they'll be understanding." My mum turned to stir the pot simmering on the hob.