Chapter 1: Golden Days

"Shiroya! Let's go play in the sunflowers!" The young, mint haired girl called running into the field.

"Edith, wait for me!" A young ninja soon chased after her with a large grin.

"Catch me if you can, Roya!" Edith said turning to look at her companion. She giggled softly as her bare feet padded against the dirt.

"Careful! You're gonna fall!" Shiroya called after her, noticing a tree root sticking out of the ground.

"No, I won't! I'm fine! Ahh!" Just as the ninja-in-training had warned her, she tripped over the root and fell flat on her face. She sat up slowly and let her hand travel up to her lip. She looked at her fingertips to see blood from her lip. Only then did tears start to fall from her stormy eyes. Her wails made Shiroya frown.

"Edith! Are you okay?" He asked. "Hey, don't cry. Let's go back home, okay?" Edith frantically rubbed at her eyes to keep her tears from falling and she nodded. Shiroya, being a kind boy, helped the young girl up and they slowly headed back to the manor. "I told you to be careful you know," Shiroya said with a soft chuckle.

When they arrived, they were met with the worried face of Kaito, the growing son of the chieftain. His eyes filled with worry seeing his 'Little Edith' crying. "Edith!" Kaito called. Edith's eyes filled with more tears and she ran into Kaito's arms.

"Big brother! Roya was right and I fell!" She said with a pout. Kaito smiled softly and tousled her hair. He sighed, happy that it wasn't a major injury.

"Come on. Let's get you all fixed up then you can keep playing with Shiroya, okay?" Kaito asked earning a nod from the young ninja. They weren't related by blood, but they were close enough to be. They were all raised together in the same manor, each only a few years apart.

While Kaito was tending to Edith's wound, Shiroya busied himself in the kitchen. Though he was still learning, he felt as if he needed to make Edith something for her to feel better. He smiled, humming to himself as he finished the dish and started to carry it out to his friend.

~~~~10 years later~~~~

Edith tapped the scar on her lip with her finger as she thought over what was in the letter before her. A knock was heard at her bedroom door followed by the voice of her best friend.

"Hey, Edith? Mind if I come in?"

"Sure Roya," she said folding the letter. Shiroya entered her room with a smile and a dish in his hands.
"I brought your favorite." He said. Edith's eyes sparkled and she gasped.

"Pork cutlet bowl?!" She asked excitedly. Shiroya laughed, nodded, and handed her the bowl. She hurriedly ate the meal, hardly able to taste it as she shoveled it into her mouth.

"What's your letter say?" He asked. Edith put her now empty bowl on the desk and unfolded the letter.

"Mikaela and I are supposed to start a journey to 'save the island' and all the ninja from the other villages are supposed to meet us at our uncle's estate." She explained.

"Oh yeah, Kaito said something about that earlier. He told me we were going on a mission with you and your cousin and the other ninja. When do we leave?"

"I dunno, Roya. We'd have to talk with Kaito, but I'm fine with leaving tomorrow." Edith said with a smile.

"That's fine with me," Shiroya said picking up her empty bowl. Edith clapped her hands together, an excited look on her face.

"I'm so excited to see everyone. It's been a while since we've all gotten together."

"Well let's go get Kaito and we can go!"