Chapter LIII

I wasn't sure what to say. He hadn't said, "I kissed Bella." No, he'd clearly said, "Bella kissed me." But isn't that what he's wanted since we were little kids?

Okay, well maybe not since then. But definitely since the day she returned to Forks. I wasn't sure how to respond. Because the reality was, Jake had been amazing the last few... since my seizure. So I didn't want to hurt him and ask if that's what he had wanted. I didn't want to hurt myself and ask that question. I didn't know what to say, so I just sat there staring at the T.V. How was I supposed to react to this? And right after he'd kissed me too.

"Are you mad at me?"

I shook my head before I'd even processed his words. Was I mad at him? Well, that all depended on what happened.

"What happened, Jake? Because as stupid as it sounds-"

"Annie, I promise you, it meant nothing. I didn't want her to kiss me. I don't even know how it happened. She kept saying that I didn't really love you; that it was imprint magic. I was on her about the leech and then she just kissed me. That," he paused to look at me. "That's what caused your seizure Annie. Leah said it was because"

"Because you betrayed the imprint bond," I whispered. He stared at me like I had grown another foot.

"I gave the book to Leah. I was hoping it would help her with Nate. Maybe I should've read it a little more," I said quietly, remembering my conversation with Leah.

"It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't already doubting the bond."

He pulled away from me suddenly. "Why were you doubting?"

Why couldn't I just keep my thoughts to myself? Oh, right, because I felt like a horse was kicking the inside of my forehead. And I told Jake everything.

"You loved her first, Jake. No matter what we feel now-"

"I never loved your sister," he said quietly. "God, listen to this. We sound like something out of Jerry Springer. Is the baby not mine either?" he joked. I laughed a little.

"Listen, I thought that I loved your sister. I really did. But she will never be the girl for me."

"How do you know?"

"Because she's not you. Come on, Annie; you're not one of those girls who needs their guy to tell them how great they are. I love you, not your sister. And I will do anything to protect you," he said solemnly.

"Did you mean what you said to her yesterday?" He narrowed his eyes like he was trying to figure out what I was talking about. His eyes popped open after a minute.

"You were awake for that?" I just nodded, worried about what he would say about that.

"Then you know that I said it and I won't have to repeat the entire conversation," he smiled. "I meant exactly what I said. Your sister will leave you and me alone and she will stay off of tribal land. I won't have this happening to you again." I smiled at him. He meant it. I couldn't believe I was getting everything that I ever wanted. I was getting Jacob and the Rez and the Pack. "And you will never go to a hospital again."

"Good," I whispered, punctuating it with a yawn.

"I'm not a big fan."

He smiled and moved from in front of me to beside me, supporting my weight as he pulled me down with him. I yawned again.

"Let's get some rest, baby girl," He whispered. I slowly rolled towards him, folding my hands up in between his chest and mine. My heart was beating a little faster than normal as his hands came around me. He pulled me closer to him, his arms squeezing a little bit.