Chapter 29-Cold & Numb

"She was always so strong, so full of laughter!" Annie says.

"Give her time she will be herself again." Her father reassures her.

"It's been over a month!" Her mother argues.

Camelia listened in silence as they whispered outside the living room where she stood watching out the large bay windows, at the vast backyard of their home.

A waterfall splashed soundlessly into the pond full of colorful fish and tadpoles. Birds chirped happily watching the sprinkler system spray the rich green grass, waiting eagerly for the cycle to finish to catch worms.  Bees hovered over flowers sucking the sweet nectar from the center to take back to the hive. In the distance a pair of white Butterflies danced around one another playing a game of cat and mouse in the air.

A light breeze passes, swaying the trees, bushes and flowers.

Stefan, she cried, in the deepest part of her spirit and closed her eyes. Camelia's legs nearly buckled, leaning against the glass window in order to keep herself upright.

Every bone in her body ached as if she fought a small battle. As if the world hovered over her head and every tragedy was a heavy burden.  Any joy she once felt vanished from her life, her entire existence.

She was miserable. She was angry.  She grieved.

The hours passed into days, and the days passed into weeks, and the weeks into a month.  
It was impossible to sleep that entire night. She either laid there eyes wide open staring at the wall reliving every detail or crying until she ran out of tears. 

The very next morning, the door to Stefan's room remained closed. It was early when he rose listening as the door to his bedroom opened.  He walked directly passed her door as she stood behind it holding her breath. 

Waiting.

Hoping.

Praying.

But he passed her door like she didn't exist. 

Only when she was sure he descended the stairs did she leave her room.  She silently stood on the top step of the staircase, gazing down at his retreating back.  The way he held himself, executing a raw power and confidence deserving his now polished image was dangerously attractive. 

However, it would be the last glimpse she had of him.  He didn't even bother to look back one last time.  He never cared enough to say goodbye.  Her heart screaming in agony as she listened to the front door shut almost soundlessly.

She cried because she died. Stefan took her heart with him when he deserted her. The crushing evidence of his final exit from her life came to surface once his replacement arrived. Liam. The man who was to be by her side and protect her from then on.

He planned it perfectly.  It was obvious he never planned to stay.

A small part of her believed he would not be able to part from her. But if he truly loved her, he would have came back.  He wouldn't have left to begin with.  It was a sad fact knowing he never truly matched her effort nor could he ever. 

The imbalance was as clear as day. 

True, she pushed him away but a part of her hoped he would stubbornly stay and fight for her. Refusing to give up just because she asked him to. For someone who truly loved will always fight for what they want. God, did she hope.  Hoping against hope that Stefan would appear after a few days, put his strong arms around her, and tell her it had all been a horrible mistake.  A bad dream.