2.3

-POV Opal-

My hair was now evened out and cut correctly.

Zelda and I were in her room watching movies, "I'm going to try to get a job." I said without thinking.

"What do you have in mind?"

"I wanna try to become a helper at the middle school. Being around all the kids and everyone would always keep my mind off of Samm. Once I get enough money I plan to get you and me out of here and into an apartment."

"The job is a good idea, do you know if they have an open spot?"

"I checked the school website, they are looking for one in the seventh grade level. Fourteen dollars an hour."

"Damn girl, when's the interview?"

"Tomorrow, and I'm one hundred percent sure I'll get the job." I ran my fingers through my hair. It was unusual being so short.

-0-

Multiple thoughts ran through my mind, will I get the job? Will I mess up and say the wrong thing? If I get the job, will the kids like me? The thoughts went on and on.

I took a deep breath and walked into the school, it was the end of January, I'll have half the school year working there.

I buzzed the front door, "yes, what is your business here today m'am?" Came through the speaker.

"I'm here for the interview."

"Very well." I heard the door lock unlatch. I took the handle and opened it.

I walked into the office, "um where do I go for the interview?"

"Room 207, Miss. Hayden's seventh grade classroom."

"Wait? I'm just walking into a full classroom?"

"Yep, you're the only one to show up for the job, here's your business badge," she handed me a simple laminated card.

"Good luck," she smiled at me.

Room 207 Miss. Hayden's. Room 207 Miss. Hayden's

Ran through my mind on repeat until I found the room. The door was shut, I hesitantly took the door nob and opened the door. As soon as I entered all the kids turned their heads to look at me, it was slightly creepy.

"Oh my! You must be the new Assistant," Miss. Hayden walked up to me. She was old, maybe in her sixties.

"What shall me and my students call you?"

"Opal is fine," I nodded.

"That's a magical name," a girl's voice said, I turned to see a girl, large brown eyes, and long brown hair. She was skinny.

"Thank you," I replied back to her.

Miss. Hayden took me to the front of the room, all the kids looked at me. Something about a room of unknown 12-13-year-olds really made you uncomfortable.

"Students this is Opal, if you like her, she will stay with us the rest of the year to assist you as students and me as a teacher."

I waved and smiled, "hi, I'm Opal as you already been told, I really hope you like me." I gritted my teeth, that was a bad introduction.

Miss. Hayden took me to her desk, "here are 25 algebra workbooks, please grade pages, 67-72, the key book is on the back table. Please, if anything is wrong to write a brief summary about what they did wrong and give them the right answer. Please grade in red pen." She handed me a red pen, "go make yourself at home at the back table. Now I need to get back to teaching these kids Algebra."

She shoved me off with all the workbooks, I instantly started grading. Mumbles from the kids filled my ears.

20 workbooks later and the bell rang, the kids had lunch now.

I wasn't going to take a lunch, I was going to finish grading.

"Opal?" I looked up from the book and found the one bright eyed girl.

"Hey Hun? What do you need?" I asked.

She walked up next to me, "I don't really have anyone to hang out with during lunch, I'm Kylee."

"Well Kylee, would you like to sit here with me?"

"Can I?"

"Of course," I smiled and offered her the seat next to me.

"I'm off to my lunch," Miss. Hayden said before walking straight out the door.

"She's a bit delusional, and she can't hear well, this class period gets away with a lot, well all her classes get away with a lot."

I laughed, "I graded your book by the way, you got all of them right."

"It's not a surprise, I get everything right most of the time."

I smiled, she reminded me of myself.

We sat and talked for the whole lunch period, "I hope to see you tomorrow," she smiled and the bell rang.

"See you soon Opal." She rushed out of the room, she didn't eat lunch, I wonder if she always skipped.

The rest of the day I was given multiple math workbooks to grade, the last two classes she had didn't seem to care that I was there.

After the final bell rang Miss. Hayden walked up to me, "I'm calling the district offices and telling them you get the job."

"Wait? Really?"

"Mhm, you got everything finished that I needed you to finish, your proficient and reliable."

She went to her desk and called the district.

I took out my phone to text Zelda and tell her I got the job, seven messages from Samm, two missed calls. I sighed and ignored them.

"Please be here tomorrow at seven, I need you here early so that you can help me set up some of the technology equipment, I have no clue how to do set up this new fancy stuff."

"I'll be here," I smiled once more.

"Good."

I left, giving my pass back to the secretary in the office and went back to my truck.

I sighed and put my head on the steering wheel.

Think happy, be positive. You need this job. If your visibly upset you'll get fired.

I drove back to Zelda's.

-POV Samm-

I sat a few houses down from Zelda's house in my car.

Just go in there and explain, I'm sure she'll understand. One side of me said.

She doesn't want to see you, she hates you. Leave. The other side told me.

I tried to call her once more, she let it ring.

I turned the car around and went home.