Chapter 13: You Miss Him

I'd gone home last week to visit my mom. Dad had told her about his engagement and baby, but asked mom not to tell me because he wanted to. When I'd come back Hunter wasn't home so I'd decided to go visit Sky.

"Your mom seems to be handling it all very well." Sky said handing me a big spoon.

"They've been divorced for... Since my sister..." I trailed off. Sky nodded passing me the tub of ice cream.

"Do you think I could stay here for the night?" I asked taking a spoonful.

"Hunter not home?"

I nodded.

"Awww, Em, you miss him." She cooed.

I looked at her blankly, "I do not. It's just weird being alone. I've gotten used to him always being there."

"Have you gone on another date since the rooftop?" She asked, curiosity gleaming in her eyes.

"Well he took me for coffee after my first lesson. I said it wasn't a date but he insisted." I smiled at the memory.

"Em? Do you think Ty likes me?"

I was shocked by the sudden change of topic, "Why?"

"It's just that we've been spending lots of time together. Well we live together so..?" She laughed, "It's just that... I think... I might have a crush on him?"

"Great to hear that!" A voice came from behind us and Skylar and I instantly jumped. Sky blushed when she realized it was Ty.

"I mean, I've been wanting to ask you out for a while now but I wasn't sure you felt the same way. But to hear you say it - " Ty smiled at her, "Would you wanna go out... For dinner... Now? Like on a date?"

"Oh Ty, I'd love to but -"

"She has to get ready!" I interrupted and Sky looked at me confused.

"But - "

"You're nervous, I know, I know. Now move. I'll help you get ready."

Once we were in Skylar's room she turned to look at me, "Em, I thought you wanted to stay over?"

"It's really okay, Sky. I have a paper due Friday so I'll just work on that."

She was radiating happiness, "Thank you Em. Now help me choose something to wear!"

-

Hunter still wasn't home, so I decided to cook up something to eat but found myself making supper for Hunter too. Hunter wasn't an awful cook but then again, I wasn't too fantastic either.
I put Hunter's food in the fridge and took mine to my room.

Our task which was due for Friday was to write a 2 000 word essay on what inspired our interest in writing. It wasn't too long as the usual tasks I'd been given but I sat for hours staring blankly at the screen. I had never really thought about it until I had to. I couldn't think of a reason so I tried thinking of a title. That didn't work too well either, so I got up, changed into my running clothes and went for a late night jog.

It wasn't ideal running in the dark but I stayed within the border of the apartment block. There was a wide space on the border of the apartment complex for me to run. The music blared in my ears and soon enough I was back in my room sitting in front of a blank screen.

I'd showered, changed into my pajamas and then patiently waited for the essay to type itself. However, it didn't.

I started typing anything that came to mind, trying to get any inspiration out of me. I was frustrated so I pulled out my phone to text Hunter.
___________________________

Hunt 🤗❤️

Are you still alive?
Sent 22:55
___________________________

He didn't reply so I went back to my frustratingly white, blank page. Instead of typing my essay, I picked up a pen and my notebook and wrote.

The inspiration was slow to come, but it eventually did. Unfortunately, it wasn't for my essay but rather, a song.

I hope you never sit alone
wondering where you went wrong
baby girl I don't care for all
but you're simply too much
just to brush off...

It needed work but at least I was writing and I happened to find inspiration for my essay:

Agony

I've never written for pleasure. I always wrote to release some kind of emotion. It was an easy escape for me, but an escape none the less.

I was sure I would complete my paper tomorrow so I closed my laptop and checked for a reply from Hunter. Nada. So I sat with my legs up on my desk and wrote another song.

-

I don't know when I fell asleep but I felt the book gently being removed from my hands and then gently being lifted up. A hand beneath my neck and another supporting my legs, then being gently being lowered on to something soft. I wasn't awake and I thought that I was dreaming.

Until a small kiss was placed on my forehead, "Goodnight, sweetheart."

Please comment and vote xx