Chapter LV

Jake wasn't kidding when he said that we had school the next day. I couldn't really be upset about going; I had missed so much already. After the seizure, Carlisle had given me a few days to calm down and get my head on straight. The last few days had sucked, just sitting at home. Still, as Jake kissed my cheek and waved a coffee mug in front of my face, I just wanted to skip one more day. But instead, I found myself dressed and in Jake's truck while he drove to school.

We were sitting in the parking lot before I knew what was next. "I have patrol after school," he said, hand wrapped around mine.

"I'm planning on going to the gym with Leah," I replied. "You know, she's been talking to her imprint."

"You're going to be safe, right?"

"What could go wrong? I'm with Leah at the gym."

"I never know with you. Sometimes I think you go looking for trouble."

"Me? Trouble? I would never!" I laid a dramatic hand over my heart.

"Are you ready?" he asked quietly.

"Why are you acting like this is so different than normal?" He shrugged. "Is it because it'll be the first time that we go in there as an actual couple?"

"According to everyone else, we've always been an actual couple. You're overreacting," he said. "No one is going to care about us, Annie." I looked at him, still unconvinced. "Unless we're the center of the universe and I didn't know it."

As we walked onto campus hand in hand, I could see that Jake was right. I mean, people looked at us a little more than usual, but no one said anything to us. We walked straight into the classroom then, Jake's grip tightening on mine. I pulled out my chair, tossing my legs up onto Jake's lap, waiting for Reynolds to come in.

"Miss Swan; I was wondering if we were ever going to see you again," he said with a smile.

"I trust you have the work that Mr. Black was kind enough to pick up for you?" I nodded and handed him my packet of work. "I hope you are feeling better," he nodded.

"Does he hate me or something?" I asked Jake quietly. "I didn't just have a seizure or anything."

"You don't have to remind me," he growled quietly.

"Are you really going to be ridiculous?" I asked him with a look. He narrowed his eyes at me. "I'm serious. It was my sister's fault, Jake. Unless there's something that you're not telling me."

"Don't start that," he warned.

"You're the one who's all into bargaining. I'll make you a deal. If you don't talk about my seizure and how you think it was your fault, I won't insinuate anything."

"Deal," he said, pressing his lips to my cheek.

"Hey! There are rules," I warned, shoving him back to his side of the desk.

"Let's just see how long that lasts for you," he said cheekily.

"Now, what did we all think of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? What was the purpose of the tale? What did it inspire the people to do?" And with those boring words, I turned my attention to my phone, pulling open a new Jeanette Okes book.

"Isn't it easier to hide your phone as opposed to a book?" Jake whispered.

"Do me a favor and quit trying to give me away," I said, holding the phone in my textbook that I was supposed to be reading. I lost myself in the romance, in the days of the Old West where men were kind and chivalry still existed.

"You know, at some point, we have to go to chemistry," Jake said about one hundred pages later. He took my hand in his as I stood to leave and walked alongside me to the chemistry room. Jake took his appointed place at the back of the room, me beside Kim.