Ch. 32 - Ice Loves Coco

I watched four more videos.

The letter from Brown University came on a typical hump day.

I was making breakfast for Jett and Nora before school. Their aunt and uncle had already left for work, so the house was quiet. I could hear their alarm clocks going off from upstairs. The noise from the doorbell was shockingly loud.

Peering out the window, I was surprised to see Mrs. Kennedy standing there. She got home a few days before. It had been over a week since Elliott broke up with me, and I hadn't seen any of the other kids since. I had seen Mrs. Kennedy, who came over to thank me for all I did.

"Hi, Mrs. Kennedy," I said as I opened the door. "How are you?"

"I'm good, dear." She stuck out a white envelope. "This came in our mail for you. I think the mailman still thinks you're living at our house!"

I smiles and took the letter. "I'm sorry about that. I'll try to make some calls to fix that. Thank you for bringing this over."

"No problem," she said. "You know, while I'm here, I should invite you to dinner. We invited Flynn's family over and Nora is coming too. It's a goodbye for Flynn before he goes to college tomorrow. The kids really miss you."

I opened my mouth, trying to think of any excuse to tell her. "Uh.."

"Oh! Don't feel pressured! I just wanted to throw that out there. Stop by if you want. Don't stop by if you don't want to. Just know the invitation is there."

"Okay," I said and smiled. "Thank you."

"Sure, sure. Have a nice day, Ivy."

"Bye, Mrs. Kennedy."

Brown University gave me financial aid for my four years at the college. It's enough where I'd still be in some debt after college, but not nearly as much as before. It's enough to make me want to enroll. I'd be able to start next semester.

This all came out of the blue after the long silent treatment I had been getting from Brown. I bet the email where I desperately told my life story made them change their minds. It's really the only explanation for them to be this generous.

As for the dinner, I didn't go. I stayed home with Jett. We watched YouTube tutorials on how to train a turtle for hours. Myrtle is now a very obedient tortoise thanks to us.

I still said goodbye to Flynn when he came back over with Nora. They said Elliott wasn't even at dinner, so I should've came. But I said training Myrtle was more important to me, an obvious lie - no offense to Myrtle or anything. I really do miss the Kennedy's.

And of course I realize I can just go across the street and see them anytime I'd like to. I just have this horrible feeling that Elliott might open the door. I'm not ready to face him.

I'm not even close to being over him. How could I be? I spent three months slowly falling in love with him. Once all of my walls had been broken down, he left me shaking cold in an unprotected emptiness. I fully believed he'd be there to protect me. I wasn't expecting heartbreak, at least not at the exact moment I told him how I felt. I guess I waited too long.

It has been really hard dealing with all of this. I'm alone most of the day while Jett and Nora are at school. I don't have any friends to keep me company now that they're all at college.

I've been so desperate to hang out with someone that I even called Jake. He went to college at University of Washington. I guess Harvard never accepted him...poor Mrs. Acker. I haven't heard if he and Carter are still together or not. I hope not.