Chapter LVI

Saturday morning, I woke up with my head pillowed on Jake's chest. His snores literally vibrated the entire bed. This was a little strange. Normally, Jake was already gone on patrol when I woke up on the weekends. Mostly because I was up super later, but partly because he started patrol at seven in the morning. What high school student wanted to wake up early on the weekend? If they actually existed, I was not one of them.

Jake didn't like waking up early, but our family dinners were very important to us. So he chose to work earlier in the morning, nap a little, and be there for dinner. Besides, it was too difficult to explain to my father that Jake, at sixteen, had a night job that sometimes required him to work during the day. Yeah, no, it was easier to just have Jake there for dinner. Regardless, waking up beside him on a Saturday was weird.

I tried to wiggle my way out of his arms, only to have the arm around my waist tightened a little. He growled in his sleep at some unknown assailant. I smiled and rested my head on his chest again, listening to his heartbeat under my ear.

Was it possible to love someone as much as I loved Jake? It didn't seem like it should be, but I knew that I really loved him. I had always loved him. Maybe that's why Bella pissed me off so much. It was like Kim had said, I loved Jake before he was a wolf. If I was so sure of my love for him, why should I ever doubt his for me? I mean, let's get real here. I was pretty fabulous.

I could hear Billy groaning as he pulled himself out of bed and into his chair. I griped a little as I pushed myself into a sitting position, fighting Jake the whole way.

"Jake, your dad's awake," I said still trying to sit upright. He growled. "Jake, come on." I leaned over and pressed my lips to his, waiting until he was kissing me back to pull away.

Clearly, that was not the way to wake him up. He drew me atop him so that I was straddling his chest, my hair falling like a curtain over the two of us. He pulled my lips down to his, burying his hands in my hair. My hands were on either side of his head as his hands crawled their way down my neck, leaving my body altogether. I tried to ignore the electric shock I felt when his fingertips grazed the exposed skin where my shirt had crawled up a little. He pulled away then, lightly tossing me on the bed and jumping up.

"You're not turning into Bella's little leech are you?" I asked a little breathlessly.

"No, it's not that," he said just as winded. "I don't have a door, Annie. The last thing I need is my dad rolling down the hallway to see that." I nodded, glad that it wasn't something that I had done wrong. He frowned a little, cautiously walking back towards the bed.

"You thought that something was wrong?" I shrugged instead of nodding. I had never had a boyfriend. I had never done any of this before. I knew that Jake didn't have any more experience than I did. However, he also had Paul's mind to ask whenever he wanted to do anything. I think that was cheating.

He pulled me underneath him, pressing his chest against mine. He held himself up, not crushing me underneath him, but holding me down with his weight.

"You," he said, kissed below my ear, "can," he kissed the opposite side, "wake me up," he breathed, lips on my forehead, "like that," now on my nose, "anytime." His lips met mine in a hungry kiss that was rough and sweet and tender.

"Okay, okay, you're right," I said, shoving against him. "Your dad could come by any minute." He laughed, but rolled off of me in search of something more than his boxers.

"You know, at some point, we're going to have to get your things unpacked," he commented as he was moved a box from right in front of his dresser.

I rolled my eyes and headed off to the kitchen. Billy was still in his bathroom; I could hear the pipes groaning as he showered. I guess that was the benefit of a small, old house.