14 - Whitney

Whitney

"Can't believe you're going!"

"Thanks for the support, Portia" I groaned, and my friend sighed over the phone.

"Just remember: don't be nasty, be polite and don't get into personal talk. That way he'll be bored and leave you alone."

I had her on speaker as I tried to choose what to wear.

"What should I wear?"

"What does it matter? Just put on some jeans and a tee. Don't get dressy and pretty."

"I'm too pretty not to look pretty." I teased, laughing, and she laughed on the phone "No, better to take it seriously. I'll just wear the navy dress."

"The long sleeved, A-line?"

"That's the one," I tell her, as I put it in front of my body.

"Hum. He's gonna like it."

"It's a drape boat neckline. He won't see a thing. And it's mid-thigh."

"Does it have a fitted waist?"

"Yeah..." I said carefully, frowning.

"And as I recall, it's a flared skirt."

"You have a problem."

"He's gonna be jumping all night long. Trust me: fitted waist, teasing skirt, no neckline so he'll just wonder... Some thigh... Perfect combination for his mind to wander."

"You suck at this. I'm cutting you off" I groaned, picking the phone.

"Wait!"

I turned the call off and frowned at the dress.

"Maybe if I go naked he'll think I'm crazy and run."

Yeah right...

Whatever! Like he was going to notice what I was wearing... Guys never do, except if what you're wearing is skin. Now that would get their attention.

I took a shower, brushed and blow-dried my hair, made a hairline braid, pinned it, and got dressed. Got into my heels, put on a pair of round pearl earrings and make-up to finish.

"Wow!" Jackie said, as I stood in front of her, she was sitting on the couch with a magazine in her hands, and Carlie was watching TV "You look really cute! Love the braid. Very chic and simple. Low on accessories. Just some eye make-up. I approve."

"The world is saved, then," Dad said, reading a newspaper on the other couch, and Daddy smiled at me.

"You look beautiful, honey." Daddy, or Greg, said, kissing me softly on the cheek "So is he picking you up?"

"No. I just texted him saying I'm almost leaving." I said, shoving my phone into my small purse; of course, my dads didn't know whom I was going out with, or why... "See you later."

"Careful," Dad said, looking at me from over his newspaper.

When I opened the door, Rai's black car was parking in front of my house. What the hell?! Didn't I just text him telling to wait at the restaurant? Was he blind, deaf, or just plain stupid?

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Told you I was gonna pick you up," He said, as he went up the small trail over the lawn.

"No..." I said slowly "I said I was gonna meet you there."

"I'm paying, remember? So, I make the calls here. But first: you look beautiful," He said it with such softness that I actually felt my belly shiver.