Chapter 24: Mind if I cut in?

Sarah's P.O.V

"Jeremy!" I squealed, delighted to see him. I hugged the idiot who sneaked up on me. Jeremy was my guy best friend in high school and through college when I did my studies in business management. He and Lily were pole opposites, he was a nerd whereas Lily was a cheerleader and I was caught in between the two. Both of them drove me crazy, usually by asking me to support only one of their philosophies when they both never had the same point of view on things. He was wearing a cream coloured suit with a silver tie today and he looked obviously handsome. Jeremy broke all the social rules of high school as he slept with most of the girls (except for Lily and me of course), mainly cheerleaders. He was a nerd who was a player. Did that make sense? Knowing Jeremy, it did. His dark black hair which looked ruffled today, bright green eyes, defined jawline and his tall, lean frame was enough to get girls lined up for him.

"How are you? When did you get back from new York?" I asked him, forgetting the dilemma I was in.

"I flew in yesterday. Just wanted to invest on a fashion line here in LA." "So, how have you been, Mrs Kirst?"

I could feel the smile leave my face as I heard the mention of my last name. "Not so good."

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked me, immediately realising that I was unhappy.

"Nothing." I tried to lie feebly.

"I know you very well, Sarah. Don't try lying to me. Just spill."

That was enough for me to walk with him to the balcony to er....elaborate my situation. He knows how much I love Keith, scratch that, loved him. I told him about the wedding, the abuse, and the kiss in the car park and finally how he left.

He looked furious. "You didn't report him?"

"No, Jeremy. I can't. His father would get a heart attack and my father only recently partnered with Keith's company on a project. My dad would immediately break it off if he got to know what Keith did and our company need this partnership to increase our profit margins."

"I understand," he replied softly. That was the best thing about Jeremy. He always understood. He was surely angry about what Keith had done to me but at the same time he knows how I feel right now. I felt inferior. He never let emotions cloud his judgement.

"I wish he would have loved me instead." I said while looking far into the city lights.

"Why don't we make him?" His question caught my attention and a mischievous smile formed on his lips.

"How?"

He explained his plans slowly and I took it to my head carefully to bit miss any details. I doubt it would work but it was worth a shot...

Just to make sure, I asked him, "Would it work?"

"It's time to see if your husband is possessive or not. If he is, then we win."
***

Jeremy went downstairs, where everyone was dancing to the slow song played by the band. He told me to come down after I get his signal. God knows what his signal was going to be. I breathed out heavily, I was going to face Keith. I could still see him down there, talking to his friend Noel. I was hiding behind a statue close to the stairs waiting for the signal.

Jeremy motioned me to come with a unnoticeable movement of his hands. I stood ready at the top stair and started to climb down. Just then, I felt the spotlight on me. I felt numb for a second and then I relaxed remembering it was a part of Jeremy's plan. He smiled at me from the end of the stairs, I could feel everyone's eyes on me, especially Keith's. I dared to look at Keith and found his eyes rake through my body. His face completely rigid with shock and his grey eyes locked with my blue ones, I averted my gaze and continued down the stairs to Jeremy. Keith came closer to us, close enough to hear our conversation. Jeremy ignored Keith's presence and asked me," Shall we dance, beautiful?" I smiled at him. I gave him my hand and walked away with him to the centre of the dance floor not sparing Keith a glance. I placed one hand of mine in Jeremy's and another on his shoulder, I could still see Keith over Jeremy's shoulder, he looked bewildered and anger flashed in his eyes.

I slowly waltzed with Jeremy and I caught Keith glance at Jeremy's hand on my waist. Keith took a slim model like girl by her hand, still having his eyes on me and Jeremy, he started to dance with her. Jealousy growled inside me. I guess Jeremy could feel me get tensed as he bent his head slightly so that his lips hovered close to my right ear, fully exposing my face to Keith.

Jeremy whispered, " Remember the time when Lily got asked out by a 12 year old at the sweet shop?"

I chuckled at the sweet memory. The kid tripped her for rejecting him and she landed dramatically on her ass. It was hilarious. I instantly felt better. I knew why he reminded me of it. I gave a genuine smile to Jeremy. Thank god he was here today.

Just then I heard Keith's voice, " Mind if I cut in?" He asked Jeremy.

Jeremy gave him a thin smile and said, " Sure."
I started to look worried and then I saw Jeremy give me a thumbs up from behind Keith's back. I took a deep breath and looked at Keith in the eye and place my hand in his. Warmth rushed all over me and butterflies fluttered in the pits of my stomach. We started dancing slowly for 'You and I' by one direction.

_____________________

Author's note: Merry Christmas guys !!!!!!!!!!! Hope you like this chapter. I lie Jeremy. No cliche guy best friend falling in love with girl best friend. I'm sorry. He's just an epic guy. Keith!!!!! What do you think? Is he jealous or is he angry she disappeared???? Let me know what you think!!!! Lots more to come people... Stay tuned cos the fun is just beginning. Please comment, vote and recommend... Once again Merry Christmas folks.