Chapter 24 - Alarm

Jay and Lia went home and saw Sungjun drinking whiskey, smiling to himself. What happened? Is he celebrating.

"It it isn't Park Jae's son. What are you doing here?" He asked Jay, standing up to block the two's way to Lia's room, placing a hand on Jay's shoulder. Jay can definitely smell the alcohol as Sungjun exhales. "You lucky thing. I was never fond of Euijin, and you're so lucky you didn't meet him. You're so lucky you have no parents."

Lia was confused to what her father is saying since she doesn't know the truth yet, but he rest was just nonsense. It was rude for her father to say that Jay's lucky because he has no parents. That's not nice to hear.

Jay was hurt but tried to hide it, because this man gave him shelter for almost ten years. He can't disrespect him.

"Good night, Dad." He said and took Lia, escorting her to her room.

"I'm sorry about that. On behalf of my father, I apologize." Lia apologetically told Jay. She looks for affected than Jay. "But who's Euijin? Is that your father's real name?" She asked, throwing her purse to her rocking chair, then sat on her bed. Jay on the other hand found a furry pink chair to sit on.

"I'm adopted." He admitted to Lia.

"Oh." Lia was uncomfortable. She didn't know how to react. Should she go to Jay and hug him, or just stay here like it's not a big deal.

Does Jay want to be comforted?

"Park Euijin is my real father. Park Euijae's older brother. My real parents are dead because of a car crash." Jay continued.

"Sorry." It was all Lia can say. Not that she can sympathize. Honestly, she didn't think having parents are better. Hers are always fighting, or either of them aren't present. This place doesn't feel like home. It feels like a haunted house and she's the only human being.

But of course, Jay knows that. He lived with them and saw everything.

"No need to be sorry. I don't even remember my parents." Jay told her, looking around her room. On the wall was a portrait of the two of them back when they were kids, on a yacht. Jay recalls back when they were younger. Lia hated being on the yacht. Not only because her father would always get wasted with his friends and hold a loud party but because she fell on the water and nobody heard her fall. She tried calling them but the music was too loud.

Good thing Jay noticed she's missing. He easily spotted her since the yacht wasn't moving at the time, and dived to rescue her. He cried all night and complained how she never mattered to her parents. They were only 12 when it happened.

On her desk was another picture of them. Itćs during Lia's 18th birthday and her parents threw her a party. It's Paris inspired. They had to buy 10 feet Eiffel tower as a center piece. The invitation looked like a passport and being stamped upon entry, The ushers and usherettes were dressed as flight attendants.

Lia wore this sparkling royal blue dress, while Jay wore a matching tuxedo. After the party and the guests left, the two danced until 3 AM. Just dancing and talking. Jay can still remember how happy he was to have that moment with Lia.

He noticed another framed picture of them on Lia's night stand. This one was taken when Lia won a singing contest.

"Hide those when you take Jake here." Jay told her, pointing at the pictures.

Lia giggled. "He's so charming." She pulled her knees to her chest and smiled happily.

Jay wished Lia would be this happy thinking about him, but he learned to accept that he will never be more than a brother to her.