CHAPTER SIXTY NINE

The bell rang on Thursday afternoon, and I was happy to get the hell out of Chemistry. I haven't talked to Nick in a couple weeks, really, but I could still sense the awkwardness in the air everytime 5th period rolled around. It was as if his annoyingly evil eyes were piercing into my back, his mind thinking about all the times I've managed to call him out and show him up since I moved here. It's ridiculous.

I stuffed all my books into my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I didn't look back as I exited the classroom; there wasn't any reason to. I walked out from the science building and out to the courtyard to find Ashton. We weren't hanging out or tutoring or anything today, I just wanted to say goodbye. I spotted Natalie and Sydney by the tree, none of the guys were here yet. Sydney caught my gaze, and waved me over.

"Helloooo," I greeted.

"Hey!" Natalie chirped. "Thank God you're here, I need your guys' help."

"With?" I asked.

"What the fuck do I get Calum for Christmas? There's no way I can top off last year, and a new guitar is expensive as hell."

My eyes widened in the realization that next week was Christmas. Things must have been going by faster than I thought, because I didn't even notice. My family celebrates it and stuff, but we aren't "hard-core" Christians or anything.

"Shit," I said. "What do I get Ashton?" I don't know if Ashton would do the same for me, but I'm definitely getting him something. In the end, he doesn't need to get me anything for just a simple holiday, but I feel as though I should. All of his money is probably going towards his new place, which is totally fine with me if he doesn't get me anything. But, I feel like I should do something for him, be a good girlfriend and whatnot. But what?

"Does Ashton even celebrate Christmas?" Natalie replied with a question upon my last. "I swear, from all the years I've known that boy not once has he ever told me that he celebrates it or not."

"Ashton? Yeah, he does," Michael interrupted as he walked up and draped his arms over Sydney's shoulders. "Just hasn't done it in a while."

I slightly pursed my lips and nodded, thinking of what I could possibly get him. I had no idea. Which is weird, considering there are a lot of things that boy doesn't have. My thoughts were interrupted my a pair of two soft hands covering my eyes.

"Who is this?" I laughed.

"Surprise! It's Nick." Ashton's voice replied. I spun around and eyed him, but he just laughed. "No worries its only me." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist. I looked up at him, and softly kissed his cheek. "Do you have work tonight, babe?" I asked.

"Yeah," Ashton replied with a sigh. I broke away from our embrace and stood next to him, our fingers finding their way around eachothers'.

"Are you coming over after?" Michael asked Ashton. He nodded, and I wondered what he was going over there for. "I need help with the thingy." He said.

"Thingy?" I laughed.

"You'll see soon enough," Ashton smiled. He kissed my forehead before giving me one last hug. "I'll be in the record shop in the mall if any of you want to bring me thai food." He chuckled. I watched as he walked away, turning around to wave at me one last time before disappearing into the back parking lot.

"Where you off to?" Natalie asked, turning to me.

"My mom's picking me up at the front," I replied. "You?"

"Same way!" she cheered. Calum walked up, and I waited as they greeted one another with a sloppy kiss, and then said goodbye to everyone. "Let's go!"