Erumpent

Newt's POV

Jacob and I hurried through the frost-covered Central Park. I pulled out a leather helmet from my pocket and handed it to Jacob.

"Put this on," I instructed.

"Why— why would I have to wear something like this?" Jacob asked.

"Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force," I answered and ran off

"Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force," I answered and ran off. Jacob threw on the helmet and followed after me.

We ran through the now half-empty zoo, the outer walls were demolished. I pulled out a leather chest plate that matched Jacob's helmet. "Okay, if you just, uh, pop this on," I said and pulled it over Jacob's head. I fastened it over him.

'Okay," Jacob said.

"Now there's absolutely nothing for you to worry about," I said.

"Tell me— " started Jacob. "has anyone ever believed you when you told them not to worry?"

 "has anyone ever believed you when you told them not to worry?"

"My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice," I said. I picked up my case and Jacob followed, stumbling over rubble and debris. We stood at the entrance of the zoo. There was a loud snort.

"She's in season," I said. The Erumpent lumbered around the demolished zoo.

"She needs to mate

"She needs to mate." I pulled out a tiny vial, pulled the stopper out with my teeth, and spit it out before dabbing a spot of the liquid onto each of my wrists.

Jacob stared at me in confusion. "Erumpent musk," I explained. "She's mad for it."

I stepped inside the zoo, creeping closer to the Erumpent. I placed my case down and opened it slowly as not to agitate her. Cupping my hand to my mouth, I screeched. Now began the mating dance:

I slammed my foot on the ground, gaining the Erumpent's attention. I pulled the foot back, drawing her in. Turning around, I showed off my, er well, "best side". I was basically shaking my rear at her. I rolled across the concrete and she copied. She was so close to rolling into the case.

"Good girl—come on—into the case . . ." I said. Just then, the Erumpent stood up, eyes fixed on Jacob.

I spotted the empty vial of musk on the ground. In that moment I knew Jacob better run for his life.

The Erumpent began to charge the source of the musk, which was Jacob. Jacob wailed in terror, running as fast as he could in the opposite direction.

I pulled out my wand and began to say a spell but a monkey snatched away my wand. "Merlin's beard!" I exclaimed and ran after it.

The monkey waved and shook my wand aggressively. Sparks shot out the end. The monkey threw away the wand and ran. "Sorry!" I called after it. I grabbed my wand and ran towards the sounds of Jacob's screams.

Jacob had climbed a tree and was dangling from a branch. The Erumpent was injecting the tree with lava with her horn. The tree bubbled and caught fire and Jacob tried to scramble down the tree away from the Erumpent. But instead the tree exploded and Jacob was thrown from the tree and onto the frozen pond.

The Erumpent charged after him, hit the ice, and slid. I came careering down the hill after them, almost hitting the ice.

I slid out onto the ice, my case opened. The Erumpent was swallowed into the case, just feet away from Jacob.

"Good show, Mr. Kowalski!" I exclaimed.

"Call me Jacob," he said. We shook hands.

"Well, two down. One to go," I said. Jacob and I walked back under the frozen bride where we had been with Jeanne the night before. I set the case down and flipped open the latches. "In you hop."