seven

Day 9 of 60

Days passed and Hoseok grew uncomfortably anxious.

Anxiety was coursing through him and he didn't know whether it was the hand tremors because of the tumour or of the anxiety that he was wasting time.

He couldn't take it anymore. No longer would he spend his days dying in a hospital and hearing his parents argue over lawyers and lawsuits and treatments.

He twiddled the paper star around his fingers, studying the inked words upon it. He wasn't going to deny, they made him feel at ease. Although it would seem ridiculous to some, but if you couldn't go outside and wish upon shooting stars because you were hooked up to breathing monitors and IV lines, then wishing upon a paper star wasn't any different.

He walked out the patient room, shuffling around old people and nurses. Once he reached the office door, without knocking, he stomped inside and met his eyes.

"Hoseok? What's wrong?" Taehyung asked.

Hoseok exhaled, feeling the paper star in his sweaty hand provide him comfort. He stared at his friend, his best friend whom had followed his stars and dreams from their little hometown all the way up here. 

"I want to leave."

Taehyung turned off the monitor.

"And where would you go?"

Hoseok paused and scratched his head.

"I don't know. I didn't think I'd get this far."

Taehyung smiled, retrieving his pen from his lab coat's pocket and scribbling something on a paper. He handed it Hoseok.

"If you can think of a good enough reason to leave, then as your doctor, and your best friend, I'll allow you to do so. Just write that reason down and give it to your nurse, I've already signed it."

Hoseok stared at the signature on the page. What good enough reason could he come up with? What reason could he explain to the nurse and show her that his reason was good enough to set him free?

He scrunched up the paper and threw it in the garbage. 

"I can't do it. You're asking me to come up with a good enough reason to go out and live?"

Hoseok's widened, engine revving in his chest.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Yeah, I get it, you're a doctor and you're concerned and all, but who the fuck are you to tell me what to do with myself?"

I, I get I'm dying and I sure as hell get that there's no way to stop that. But don't you fucking stand there and try to ask me to come up with a reason to give my remaining life some meaning."

The weak male's head spun, but he ignored that. His blood was boiling and he felt like he was going to puke, but the anger in him wouldn't subside.

Taehyung stared back and very slowly, a grin grew.