VIII - Who Shot First?

"Well, good news is, I've found our guy," Mara informed, walking up to Ben and Luke, who were now standing a safe distance from the bar. "And, like I said, he can be bought. The bad news is that his amount is a little higher than I thought."

"How much does he want?" Ben asked.

"Eight thousand - in advance."

"What?" Luke cried out. "We could almost buy our own ship for that!"

"Trust me, it could have been a lot more if it weren't for me," Mara said. "And besides, who would fly it?"

"We could!" Luke said.

"Well, yeah, of course, we could," Mara halfheartedly agreed, rolling her eyes. "But we have to be as discrete as possible. Buying a whole own ship will only draw unwanted attention. On a freighter, we're just another piece of cargo. Inconspicuous."

"But, c'mon, Mara, you don't have to listen to this guy-"

Mara straightened, suddenly a bit defensive. "That's my friend you're talking about, Luke."

"Is it a fast ship?" Ben calmly interrupted, sounding a lot like a tired parent.

Mara gave him a strange look, but nodded. "Oh yeah, it's fast. I've outrun Imperial starships in that thing, and - and don't mention this to him, okay? Or he'll never shut up about it. But it made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs. Trust me, it's a good ship."

With that, Ben nodded, saying, "Tell him we'll give him two thousand now, and fifteen thousand once we reach Alderaan."

Mara's expression morphed into surprise, wondering if Ben could really live up to a promise like that, but she nodded, quickly making her way back to Han and Chewbacca.

"Seventeen?" Han asked in disbelief when she relayed the information to him. "Alright, Mar', you got yourself a ship."

Mara smiled, patting Han on the shoulder. "Great. Thanks, Solo." She turned, waving Luke and Ben over. Once they arrived, Mara took it upon herself to introduce everyone. "This is Luke Skywalker and Ben Kenobi. Boys, meet my old friends: Han Solo - Captain of the Millennium Falcon, and his first mate, Chewbacca."

"I take it you've accepted our offer," Ben assumed.

Han nodded. "We'll leave as soon as your ready. Docking bay ninety-four."

"Ninety-four," Ben confirmed.

Han's eyes flickered to something behind them, and Mara followed his gaze to a small group of stormtroopers talking to Broxin. The bartender pointed behind himself, in the direction of Mara and her friends.

"Looks like somebody's beginning to take an interest in your handiwork," Han remarked.

Mara looked over to Luke and Ben. "You two go. I'll meet you at the dock in a few minutes."

Luke gave Mara a worried look, looking like he wanted to object, but he didn't have a choice in the matter as the stormtrooper drew nearer. Mara watched as he and Ben discreetly slipped out the door, without any problems, thankfully. The stormtroopers walked closer to the table, and Mara, Han, and Chewie sat casually - arms back, legs crossed - eyeing the Imperial troops suspiciously as they passed.

"Seventeen thousand!" Han laughed once the troops were out of earshot. "You guys must be really desperate. This could really save my neck." He looked over at his Wookie companion, instructing, "Get back to the ship, get it ready."

Chewbacca then, too, made his way out of the Cantina. Mara got up as well, but she was stopped by Han when he grabbed her arm, pulling her back.

"What?"