15

I woke up the next morning to the bedroom door slamming. I looked at the sofa where Blake had been, but he was gone. I looked at the clock on the wall. 10 am.

There was a light knock on the door and Ronnie poked his head in. I jumped from the bed and ran to hug him. I was surprised when he hugged me back.

"I'm so glad you're okay." He sighed. "I've been so worried about you, sweet girl."

"I've been worried they'd find out about you helping me." I admitted. He smiled.

"Worry no more," he said. "I paid off that guard and he erased he video."

I hugged him again and he hugged back before I pulled away and he smiled down at me.

"So what are you doing in here?" I asked as I walked back toward the bed. He sat on the sofa and I sat on the bed.

"Well, Blake's in a meeting. So I was told to come watch you. I was given specific instructions not to touch you, or I'd lose my life. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell him about the hug." He explained. I nodded. "So, you want some breakfast?"

"Sure."

......

"I say bacon." I argued.

"It's definitely ham!" Ronnie said.

"No way!" I rolled my eyes. "Bacon is way better!"

"Ham is the better decision!"

"How about both?" Chef Fellers interrupted. I glared at Ronnie.

"Alright," I said. "Even though bacon is way better than ham for breakfast."

"Have you ever-" Ronnie started to argue, but Chef Fellers interrupted.

"I'm about to turn you two into breakfast if you don't get out of my kitchen," he said pointing his knife at us. Ronnie and I rushed from the kitchen laughing. We were laughing so hard I didn't look at where I was going until I bumped into someone and almost fell. I felt two large arms wrap around me to steady me.

"Careful there, don't want to hurt that pretty face," I looked up to see Jim. "Who might you be?"

"I-I," I stuttered over what to say and felt myself being pulled from his arms, into Ronnie's.

"This is Jade." Ronnie said. "She's shy."

"The cute ones always are." Jim said smiling at me. There was a moment of silence and I looked up at Ronnie. He was glaring at Jim.

"Ronnie?" I said quietly. He looked down at me, completely ignoring Jim's existence for a moment. "We should go back upstairs, I forgot something in my room."

"Alright," Ronnie said. He grabbed my hand and held it like he was holding the hand of a child. Jim nodded to us as we left. We walked back up to Blake's room in silence. "What did you forget?"

"Why does everyone hate Jim, other than the fact he's a pervert?" I asked.

"What?"

"Obviously you don't like him and Blake can't stand him." I explained. "Why?"

"Business reasons. Did you even forget anything?" Ronnie asked sounding annoyed.

"No, but I didn't want to be around him and you looked like you were gonna hit him." I said looking at the carpet. "If he's not in a meeting with Blake, then where is Blake right now?"

"I'm not sure," Ronnie said. "I'm sure our breakfast is ready though, let's go get it."

"Can I go see Blake first?" I asked.

"No, sweet girl, he's probably busy." Ronnie said grabbing my hand again. He closed the door as we left the room and I looked up just in time to see a girl walk into Blake's office. It wasn't just a girl though, she wore ripped tights and a short red dress. She looked like she was trying hard to be a cliché hooker. My heart fell from my chest. I started to step in the direction of his office and Ronnie pulled me back. "Remember your goodwife book. He does this sometimes."

I looked up at him and he looked at me with pity. I looked back at the office. Did I really like him? They kidnapped me and I was only staying for Ronnie... Right?

I walked back to the room and closed Ronnie out. I heard him shout and try to open the door. I was more than a little hurt. I went to the dresser and grabbed the goodwife book out of the drawer. Remember your goodwife book.

I had actually liked that man. Fine, then I'll be a goodwife.

...

I had my hair tied up and I wore the dress I had on last time I escaped- I had made Ronnie bring it to me.

I cleaned up Blake's room and sat on the sofa. Waiting for him to come back.

When he finally did come back, it had been hours. His hair was wet and he wore a new suit.

"Did you shower?" I asked standing up. He nodded. I decided it was best not to let him know that I saw her or that I was upset. "Why?"

"Just because." He said. He moved to the dresser. I could smell liquor on him.

"Are you drunk?"

"Are you nagging?"

"No," I said. He looked at me as he took off his shoes.

"I only had a few." He said. "I'm sober enough to know that I'm the one in charge here. I even noticed that you cleaned up."

"Yeah," I said. I scooted to the edge of the sofa and decided I wanted to stay there. I didn't have much experience with drunks.

"What are you all dressed up for anyway?" He asked looking at me.

"Nothing." I shrugged. "Just dressed."

"I like your hair better down, but it looks good up." He said. He walked into the bathroom and I sighed.

How am I supposed to do this?
He's drunk. That stupid book never said anything about if he got drunk.