Christmas Entry #6: A Christmas Nightmare

L O R E L E I

IT'S THE day before Christmas and I have no plans to celebrate it in my hometown...or more likely I don't want to celebrate Christmas after all.

I'd rather sleep all day long in this apartment than to be with him—the man who stole my life from me—my unexpectedly nonbiological father.

Don't get me wrong. I did care and earned my respect for him especially when he took the bullet for me. But it doesn't mean that I find comfort in him already.

The truth is... I can't, now that I already know that we're not related by blood. It's as if I was living all along with the lies that he initiated. Perhaps, the main reason why there's always this vibe of authority whenever he's around.

Enough with that. I just don't want to think about it anymore. I need to calm and refresh my mind.

I went out of my room to check my roommate and spotted him sitting on the couch with... errr.... Theodore.

"Hey." Tawag ko rito pero tila naka-glue ang pares ng mga mata niya sa piraso ng papel na hawak niya.

Mariin itong nakatingin dito kaya out of curiosity ay pumwesto ako sa may likod niya at tinignan ang binabasa nito. A little peek on privacy wouldn't kill, I guess?

Pero malinis ang papel na hawak niya. Blangko ito at walang halong kahit na anong marka. Is he just imagining things?

Umupo nalang ako sa tapat niya habang patuloy pa din siya sa kanyang ginagawa.

As soon as he had finished examining it, I can barely tell the expression on his face—there's a hint of anger, shock and confusion.

He's also muttering things like "No. It can't be." and "He's lying. She's already dead. I saw it with my own eyes."

Okay. What was it all about? Now I'm dead curious.

"Hey Loki. Anong meron?" I asked him and this time he already met my gaze.

"Oh. There you are Lorraine." It's Lori, Loki. Not Lorraine. There he goes with his misnaming habit again. No doubt, Loki will definitely be Loki. "Nothing that would have piqued your interest I suppose."

Is he serious? It had already been a topic of interest to me after witnessing him in that state. Gone was the facade image that he had. And it kills me to death just by thinking on what probably caused it.

Magtatanong pa sana ako kaso biglang may kumatok sa pintuan ng aming unit.

TOK! TOK! TOK!

Nagkatinginan kami nang dahil dito. We're not expecting any visitors by now. It wouldn't have been Tita Martha because she always opens the door right after three consecutive knocks.

Sino naman kaya 'yun?

Since Loki wouldn't bother greeting whoever it was, I walked towards the door and opened it, only to see a lady with a straight brown hair wearing a scarlet glittery dress paired with a 4-inch-heel of the same color and a Santa hat. A cheerful smile was plastered on her face but upon seeing my presence she immediately frowned.

"Good morning Lo— Oh, It's you. Where's Loki dear?" The unexpected visitor said as if she was disappointed of the fact that I was the one who stood in front of her instead of the latter. I didn't know that Santa could be that rude. "Would you mind if I ask your purpose of being here in OUR apartment?"

"I'm gonna spend Christmas Eve with Loki dear, isn't that right?" Jamie said sweetly and faced Loki who just shrugged, wearing a bored expression. Doesn't she have her own family to spend time with?