Chapter Seven-Red Eyes

Chapter Seven

Red Eyes

Peyton's P.O.V

Golden streaks of light floated over the treetops, coming to rest with a soft glare in my eyes. I squinted, not able to help a warm smile. Excitement bubbled in my gut as I gazed over the familiar sight of Deregu forest. Last spring break felt so far away but now everything was coming back to me with amazing clarity. Of course I knew everything would be different...but returning to Deregu Falls...going back to Wolvenpraire felt like coming home.

I wasn't sure I had one of those any more.

I jumped with the car as we rode over bumps and gravel in the road. Thick trees lingered heavily a few feet away creating a sort of mystical aura. I shivered as goose-bumps rose on my arm, but I wasn't cold. Would anyone remember me? Elder Woodruff? Raphael's parents? Would I be accepted? Somehow in my heart I knew I would be. I knew I would be safe here. I knew Raphael would protect me...and would eventually teach me to protect myself when I shifted.

Raphael and Dylan hadn't stopped talking since the car-ride began-and Faye had fallen fast asleep beside me, head nestled into the crook of the window. I smiled at her, she was helplessly adorable. We bounced, driving over some more gravel, and finally, Faye's eyes fluttered open. She yawned with a stretch.

"Are we there yet?" she muttered drowsily and I couldn't help a giggle. She sounded like a little kid. Raphael glanced behind him.

"Pretty much." With that, Faye sat up. Her hair fluffed up around her head into a massive afro. She glanced at me with another yawn.

"How's my hair?"

"Defying gravity." I said with a smirk. She smiled before slapping me playfully. A few seconds passed before she leaned down towards me with a conspiratorial smirk.

"So Aleara might be a bitch to you-she's been suffering from a major superiority-complex since Raphael left-" Faye whispered to me and I rolled my eyes.

"Is it possible for her to be more of a bitch than she was last time?"

"Trust me she'll be at bitch-level two thousand; especially when she sees you and Raph together."

My cheeks heated up.

"Raphael and I aren't exactly together-"

Faye gave me a blank stare.

"You guys slept together." She said with a smirk and I scoffed, eyes widening. If Dylan and Raphael were listening to us they didn't show it.

"Yeah-that's all...we shared a very close proximity-"

"Peyton-just shut up. You guys are together, you weirdo."

I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for informing me of my relationship status."

"You're welcome."

**** **** **** ****

We came to a stiff halt on the outskirts of Deregu forest. I gasped softly, catching my breath. The forest greenery was beautiful. It seemed completely untouched and natural; one of nature's beauties that hadn't been destroyed. The trees stood tall, grazing the sky like celestial giants. The forest bed was covered with fresh green grass and falling amber leaves. As we exited the car I inhaled deeply, taking in the fresh, clear dew-fall scent. We slammed the car doors shut. This was the furthest Dylan could take the car-we would have to walk the rest of the way which wasn't a problem for me. I think I knew the way by heart now. Our boots crunched heavily on the forest bed beneath us, probably scaring away half of the woodland creatures. I knew my friends were walking at such a slow pace to compensate me. I kept my head low, walking beside Faye as the sky shifted, becoming darker. There were so many sounds in the forest-or maybe my senses were being heightened? This filled me with a wave of excitement.