Chapter 13 | Sir Cunningham

13

─── • ─── 

MILES

Punch, punch.

"We're not dating, Miles." Replays over and over in my head. I don't think Bell has any clue how much I like her. I don't even know how much I like her. But I know she has feelings for me, I can sense it. Her breathing speeds up, and she constantly bites that fucking bottom lip of hers.

Punch, punch.

And Lucas? He ruins everything. He always has, and now he's after Bell. He invariably gets what he wants.

Punch, punch.

"So what were you doing last night that was so important you had to skip a party?" Noel asks, causing me to stop and hold the punching bag still.

"Now's not a good time to talk."

"What do you mean now isn't a good time to talk? What are you on your period?"

I turn toward him, glowering. "I was helping my dad. Are you satisfied now?"

"You should've been there Miles, there were so many freshman girls," Liam states, and other guys agree. I used to work out in peace until Noel dragged everyone along.

"Oh yeah," Noel scoffs, dropping his weights. "I forgot you were a daddy's boy." Just as expected, laughter follows.

Tired of his bullshit, I say, "We all know you have some serious daddy issues, Noel. Is that why you take it out on all of us?"

Noel's face fills with pure anger while everyone else laughs.

"You're going to fucking pay for that one, Cunningham," he says through clenched teeth. Saying nothing, I resume my punching session.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Noel walk toward the locker room, casting me one small smile before disappearing around the corner.

I couldn't care less what he's up to.

ISABELLA

I can't stop thinking about what happened at the cafe. Yeah, I overreacted. I didn't realize what I said was so harsh until I saw how hurt Miles was. Then again, what was I supposed to say? "My most humble apology Sir Cunningham, I wilt nev'r talk to anyone thee don't like." Yeah, no.

I'm not used to this type of relationship, especially since everything was different with Jake. He never stepped out of line, and we never fought. Of course, there is a reason for that behavior now, but I know nothing different. I'm learning as I go, and I just had a big lesson. My behavior at the cafe was unacceptable.

However, I can't wait for Miles to come to me; I got us in this situation, now I need to get us out. I want to get us out. I don't have feelings for Lucas, or any other boy.

I quickly get dressed and mosey up the flight of stairs that leads to his ridiculous penthouse.

When I reach his door, I drawl in a deep breath and knock. For a couple of minutes, I stand there aimlessly, waiting for Miles to come, but he doesn't. He must not be home. Or he knows it's me and doesn't want to talk. I don't blame him.

I pivot on my heel and begin down the hallway.

"Bell?" My feet halt, and so does my heart when I hear him calling. I turn back around and see him in his pajama pants hanging halfway out of the doorframe, rubbing his eyes sleepily. He was asleep, I sigh in relief.

"I can come back another time," I say.

"No, please, come in." I swallow before walking back toward him.

"I knew you couldn't resist me." He smirks when I get close, and I let out a boisterous laugh.

"I came here to apologize."

He sighs and a little smile forms on his lips. Swiftly, he grabs my hand and pulls me into his apartment. He guides us to his couch. I bite the inside of my cheek, trying my absolute best not to stare at his chest. That will be the death of me, I swear.

He catches me staring and chuckles. "So, what were you saying?"

"Oh yeah, I wanted to apologize for how I acted yesterday."

"You weren't in the wrong," he says. "It was wrong of me to blame Lucas' actions on you."

"What I said was pretty harsh and uncalled for."

"No, I understand why you said it." A faint smile appears, but I can tell he's sad. "We aren't dating and you're certainly not my property, I can't treat you like that."
I move closer to him. "Don't blame this all on yourself, I would've been mad too."

He looks down at the floor. "When I saw you with him, I got angry. I wanted to tell him to fuck off because he doesn't deserve you."

Our eyes meet, and I know he feels the tension too. His hand rises, cupping the side of my face and with ease, his thumb grazes over my top lip to my bottom, pulling it out from my teeth. I close my eyes, trying to contain myself, but my breathing is fast, and my heart is pounding against my chest.

I open my eyes to find our faces inches apart. "You don't know how bad I want you."

His words make my blood race with anticipation, along with the fact he's leaning closer and closer. For a moment I think our lips are going to collide, but he brushes past my cheek and I feel his hot breath on my ear. However, they don't linger long.

Soon enough, he is facing me again; a tiny grin dances on his face knowing exactly how he made me feel. He rubs soothing strokes over my knee, and although it's incredibly distracting, I pretend I don't care. He is such a tease.

"Do you ever wear a shirt?" I ask.

"Not in my apartment."

"Don't you get cold?"

He grins. "I'm freezing right now. Do you mind getting closer?"

I let out a boisterous laugh and reach for the throw blanket on the back of his couch and wrap it around his bare shoulders. "There. Now you're warm and less distracting."

A single brow turns upward. "I'm distracting you?"

"Imagine me walking around without a shirt on, I'd be distracting too, wouldn't I?"

"I won't know until we test this theory," he says as a matter of fact.

Shaking my head, bemused, I unwillingly push myself off the couch. "I have to go study," I say, and his face falters slightly, but he stands alongside me. We walk to his front door, and a bout of courage floods my body.

As he opens the door, I turn toward him. "Thank you for forgiving me, Miles."

I lean toward his face and press a chaste kiss to his cheek. Then I walk out of his apartment without seeing his reaction.

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading ♡

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝