22

Moving

Moving

The Next Morning

The group was leaving for the CDC.

They were all gathered by the cars.

"Okay, everyone, listen up. Those of you with CBs, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down. You got a problem, you don't got a CB, you can't get a signal, you just honk your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan," Shane said.

The group looked at him with sad eyes.

They didn't know how he was able to be so calm considering his son had just died. They were surprised at his levelheadedness.

"We're not going," Morales said, stepping forward.

"We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people," Miranda, his wife, said.

"You're gonna be on your own, no one to watch your back," Shane said.

"We'll take the chance. I gotta do what's best for my family," Morales said.

Natalie sighed. She didn't think they would be able to make it on their own. Miranda couldn't fight and they had two young children.

Rick leaned down and pulled a gun out of Shane's duffel bag. Shane reached in and grabbed a box of ammunition.

"Box is half full," Shane said, handing it to Morales.

"Thank you all, for everything," Miranda said, tears in her eyes.

She walked forward and hugged Natalie tightly.

"I'm so sorry about Nick," she said quietly.

"Thank you. Take care of yourself, Miranda," Natalie said kindly.

Miranda walked around to each of the women, hugging them all.

Morales reached out and shook Shane's hand.

"Take care of yourself and Natalie," Morales said kindly.

"I intend to," Shane responded.

The Morales family drove off, leaving the rest of the group behind.

"Let's go! Let's move out," Shane called to the group.

Natalie hopped into Shane's Jeep. She really didn't want to ride with him, but he was the only one with room in his car.

Shane got into the driver's seat next to Natalie silently. Neither of them wanted to speak to the other.