37: Renzo- Facing the Past

the harsh truth

the harsh truth

****

WHEN I SAW Fletcher's text, I didn't know what to expect as I rushed back home. Ever since that incident a few years ago, I've been overly protective of Sebastian. If it weren't for Sebastian reassuring me he would be okay if I left home, I probably wouldn't have moved to New York.

Yet I couldn't stop my mind from thinking of worst-case scenarios when I hastily opened the door to my apartment.

"What took you so long?" He crossed his arms as I took off my shoes.

"I came as soon as I saw Fletcher's text." I crossed the threshold and wrapped my arms around Sebastian. "What happened? Are you okay?"

He didn't hug me back, but I knew Sebastian appreciated the gesture. He wasn't a person who showed his emotions often.

"Nothing happened," he stepped away. I notice him play with his hair, a clear sign he was lying, but I chose to not pressure him. There was plenty of time left before I questioned him. "Fletcher said I could crash here when I texted him, but he wasn't here so I used my spare key."

"That's all right, he'll probably come back later tonight. What about school?" I trudged towards the kitchen. "You're not done yet."

"I'll go back on Monday," he sprawled himself on the couch and turned on the T.V. "I was thinking we could go visit mom before I go back to Aunt Nina's."

"Is it already that time of year?" I wondered out loud. Checking the calendar on my phone, I saw the anniversary of her death was just around the corner. "And how is Aunt Nina?"

"Fine, I told her I'm coming to visit you." Sebastian muttered. "It's been seven years already. Do you think Dad will try to contact us again this year? I'm betting he'll send a letter writing about how sorry he is in his shitty handwriting."

I didn't want to think about it too deeply, so I tried to not give a clear answer. Dad was something we never talked about unless it was near the anniversary. His betrayal made it clear to us he only ever cared about himself, especially when he abandoned us when Mom was on the brink of death.

"Who knows?" I opened the fridge and saw some leftovers Fletcher made the other night. Deciding to heat them, I noticed it was still raining.

"So, where were you?" Sebastian turned around in his seat and placed his chin on his palm.

"I was with my girlfriend," I answered while waiting for the microwave to heat the food.

"There's actually someone who likes you?" He raised his eyebrow in speculation. "I guess there's someone for everyone."

"Shut up," I grumbled, throwing a rag aimed in his direction. The microwave went off, and I placed the food on the counter. The dining table was cluttered with our stuff, and I didn't have the energy to put them away. "Grab two plates behind the cupboards."