Chapter 21

Well, the water boy may as well have a new description under his name for the next season: injured player’s little bitc—helper. No, I’m only joking around since Harry is the main reason I took on the water boy position. Yeah, I make it pretty obvious that I aim to please him but it’s only because I look up to him and because I like him. I’m sure anyone else would go out of their way for their crush.

Anyway, the coach had agreed to everything that Harry had told him about. I kind of wish I could of heard the part of the conversation where Harry requested that both Zayn and Louis take over my spot whilst I help him out with his physical therapy outside of being with a professional. Of course I couldn’t stand in the coach’s office with a proud grin on my face because Zayn and Louis would have to do things that they once labeled as pathetic. The coach would know something was up if that happened. What if he made me train them? Then again, as Harry put it, it was easy work so I’m sure those two would be able to figure it out together.                         

Our first session together had me nervous. Harry had begun to explain that it wasn’t much to do because he knew if he overdid anything that he would be paying his own price. I could tell he was rather eager to get going on. As he talked about my part in all of this, I wondered why he thought I was the best choice to help him out. I had to remember all these stretches to do and then there was something about helping him with the motion of his knee. I really think this was more of task that his sister or our field nurse to help him out with because I’m not a medical professional and I don't want to be the one who messes up our star player’s knee for good. Oh, and the final part, and secretly my favourite, and the reason I was nervous, of his list was for me to give his knee and surrounding tissues a massage.

So not only do I have to help out my friend that I have this massive crush on, I now have to massage him. Why must there be so much touching between us? He was obviously going to notice my shaky hands and resistance to touch him. Hell, we can both find out together that a future profession of a masseur is not for me. 

Luckily, on the first day, I didn’t have to touch Harry at all. It was the part that I was actually dreading. It’s kind of funny how that works out to me. I care about Harry so much and always dreamt of being able to feel him but when the time came, I was a scatterbrain about it and my brain turns off the natural abilities of my hands. Maybe it the notion that once I do finally touch him that he can sense me through him, that he’ll know my deepest secret that I can’t tell him. A touch is no longer just something simple, the brushing of my fingers along his skin will map out an entire new meaning; a sacred thing just between the two of us .I wondered if my skin left him itching from the contact as it ghosted his own.

On a positive note, Harry and I have become closer friends and it felt great to finally get to this point. Talking to him, in comparison to before, was coming a natural thing for me. It wasn't just him talking to me anymore. I was becoming more open, even though it scared me sometimes. I was able to talk to Harry about my life. I didn’t think there was much I could really talk about on the subject but the more comfortable I got, the more stories found their way out of me. I told him about my brother Greg and how he and I used to be very close until he moved house and got a life of his own. He doesn’t call as much as my mum would like him to but she’s learning that he’s off obtaining a life for himself. Harry asked me so many questions about my father. That was when I began to close up again because I didn’t know much about him because he left a few months after I was born. I didn’t get the chance to have one and some days I wondered how he’d feel about having a gay son. Then I would sometimes find myself getting angry with him for no reason for leaving my mum. She was one of the most caring and sweetest people that I had in my life and I just couldn’t figure out why he was gone.