Chapter XIII: To Befriend, And Be Befriended

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

11 October, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Longbourne Military Academy for Women, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

I scowled, annoyed, as I wrung out my wet curls over and over again with a towel.

"My hair will never dry at this rate," I groaned, collapsing onto a nearby armchair, "I have wasted an hour in front of the fireplace, and it is still as wet as it was when I washed it!"

Corporal Montgomery tossed a glance at me from her bed, completely unsympathetic. "Well, who asked you to roll about in the mud with the Emperor's dog at this time of the night?"

A naughty gleam entered Corporal Baudelaire's eyes. "And with the Emperor, no less?"

"Ha ha, very amusing," I muttered wryly, rolling my eyes, "I am going to the receiving hall. There is a bigger fireplace there." With that, I grabbed my towel and a candle, and strode out of our quarters, and down the stairs, towards the receiving hall.

It was past curfew for our students, so the hall was thankfully empty. I kneeled down in front of the fireplace, and started a fire. Flipping my hair forward, I began to try and dry it with the towel.

After a few minutes, the wonderful aroma of apple strudels began to waft up my nose.

I ignored it, shaking my head. The smell probably came from my hair. When Tiny had pushed me into the mud, I was certain I had tumbled in her plate of apple strudels too. However, it soon became stronger and stronger, and soon enough, I heard the sound of footsteps approaching me.

"Come, Tiny."

I lifted my head up at the sound of the voice, startled. Emperor Sebastian, who had rinsed himself clean of mud and had donned fresh clothes, came to a stop on my right.

"Sire?"

However, he was not looking at me. He was staring as sternly as he could down at Tiny, who was padding behind him. She held a plate of steaming hot apple strudels in her mouth, which she placed gently in front of me, and took a step back.

The Emperor cleared his throat. "Well, go on, old girl."

Tiny leaned against her hind legs and lowered her head. What sounded like a whine left her throat, which, I could only suppose, was her way of apologising for running away with my plate of apple strudels earlier that evening.

I was touched.

Setting aside the plate, I leaned forward and held her head in my hands, running my hands through her snow-white fur. "Oh, are you not the sweetest?" I smiled softly, "all is well and forgiven."

I was answered by a delighted bark and a lick on my nose, and she rolled on her back to lie on my lap, despite the fact that she was much too big to fit there comfortably.

I rubbed her tummy, and laughed, hugging her tightly. "Your Imperial Majesty, I do believe she likes me," I declared gleefully, grinning up at the Emperor, who was gazing at us with amusement.

"She is very friendly with everyone," he chuckled, "you had best finish that plate before she does, Mistress Harrington."

"You know, Sire, I think I will share it with her," I decided, sitting upright, "I am in a generous mood today."

He raised an eyebrow. "Share? She will finish that in two licks."

I waved off his concern. "You are welcome to join us too, Sire," I grinned up at him, before, "Tiny, come, let us have some overdue dessert."