Chapter LXVI

For the last month, the wolves and the Cullens had been preparing for the upcoming battle. Jake had kept his word and allowed me to be mostly normal, provided that he knew where I was and I was home by my newly imposed curfew. Either way, it didn't really matter. I spent most of my time at the gym with Leah and Nate, who, coincidentally were acting rather odd. I was half hoping that she had told him, seeing as we were only two weeks away from the attack. They had known each other for a few months. Relationships built on less had lasted lifetimes.

She needed to tell him soon, that was for sure. There was too much going on in their lives for Nate not to be safe. I was working with the speed bag when Jake walked through the front doors. Frank and Jeanie greeted him with familiarity. Jeanie gave him a hug, patting his cheeks in a motherly fashion. I wish that the woman would've had kids and stopped taking the rest of us in. I mean, she was great, but she could be a little too much. At least, with me, she was kind of crazy. Frank said it was the premise of a young girl getting the crap beat out of her. It didn't sit well with Jeanie.

"What's up?" I asked with a smile.

"I need you to come with me," he said, his tone serious.

"Whatever it is, I didn't do it," I promised him with a not-so-innocent smile, hoping that he would smile and tell me that it was always my fault. But no. He just stared at me as dead serious as before.

"There are a few things about this fight that we need to go over," he said.

"Jake, what's wrong?"

"Everything," he growled.

"Is everyone okay?"

"Will you please just come with me?"

"Not until you tell me what's going on," I huffed, crossing my arms and leaning to one side, narrowing my eyes.

He stepped closer and dropped his face to mine. "The vampires have your scent. Bella wants to be there in the clearing when everything happens. Naturally, the leech isn't letting her, but the wolves decided that we could draw all the bloodsuckers to one of the clearings if your guys' scent was there." I still didn't see why he was so upset about this. "And then I'm going to carry your sister up to another clearing. We're hoping that my scent will mask Bella's and they won't find you guys."

"Us?" I asked, realizing that he was talking about hiding us somewhere.

"Yes, you guys are going camping together. Normal sisterly bounding things."

"It stops being normal when you throw newborn vampire army into the mix," I said dryly. "So if you're carrying Bella, how am I getting up there?"

He growled. "The leech is going to carry you."

"No. Fuck no," I shouted, tearing my wraps off of my knuckles. "You can take that idea and shove right up his cold, undead ass. I am not going anywhere with him. Why can't I just walk?"

"Because that could be too dangerous," he said. "You think that I want this to happen, Ryanne? I don't want you anywhere near those bloodsuckers."

"Why can't you take me? You're more than strong enough to carry me and Bella up a hill."

"They're worried about my scent being on you."

"I won't do it," I said firmly. "If you want me to be safe, then you better find another fucking way. Edward, Carlisle, Alice, Jasper, I don't give a flying fart in fucking hell. I refuse to do any of this, Jake."

"I am trying to keep you safe, Ryanne!"
"And I am telling you how to do that. If you want to keep me safe, then you will find another way to make this happen. I won't do it." I stood in front of him, chest to chest and eye to eye with him. "Find another fucking way."