The One Where They Leave Hogwarts

Chapter 6 The One Where They Leave Hogwarts

They didn't see Marcus the next day until the train was almost beginning to start. He jogged quickly up to the train with his backpack and a trunk. Harry remembered that he had mentioned that he had stayed at the Three Broomsticks before. He had probably picked up his trunk from there.

Shortly after Ron and Hermione saw him too.

"Marcus!" Ron called. "Over here!"

"Hey, nice clothes." Some guy called after him. They didn't see who but Harry saw Marcus look around with something like recognition in his eyes, before he turned back around towards the train.

Marcus waved to them and climbed up the train, and after placing his trunk with the others, he opened their compartment and sat down beside Harry and Luna. Ron, Hermione and Neville sat opposite them.

"Oh hello, I don't think we have met before." He said to Luna and Neville with a huge grin. "I'm Marcus Embrose." He stretched out his hand for them to shake and then leaned back in the seat a little out of breath from the jog.

"Hi, I'm Neville Longbottom." Neville said with a shy smile and then quickly looked down on the floor.

"I'm Luna." Luna said with the dreamy look she so often had. "You shouldn't run so fast, it makes it easier for the Nargels to enter your head through your mouth." She then turned to her newspaper that she was reading upside down.

"Excuse me?" Marcus asked with a confused look.

"Don't mind her mate." Ron said while shaking his head from silent laughter.

"Okaay." Marcus said, still looking extremely confused. "So how long does this train ride take?" He asked.

"Around three hours." Ron answered. "Why?"

"Oh...ehm...I just don't like trains that much that's all."

"How come, did something happen?" Hermione asked. Harry could tell that she was discretely trying to find out about more about Marcus and as an extension, Arthur.

"No, nothing has happened. I just don't feel comfortable on-board trains. They are too fast." He shrugged.

Harry had to stifle a laugh when he saw Hermione's disappointed expression. That didn't go as she had planned.

"Don't worry about it mate," Ron said. "It will be over in no time. Do you want to play some wizards chess?"

"I have never played wizards chess before. Are the rules different from regular chess, because that I am pretty good at." Marcus said with a challenging look.

"The only difference is that the piece moves." Ron explained and took out his set.

"Where is your staff?" Harry asked. He just remembered that he never saw Marcus carry it.

Harry could have sworn that Marcus seemed worried before he answered. But it was gone so fast that he wasn't sure if he had imagined it.

"I left it at the castle. It's too big to carry around everywhere."

"I thought it was a walking stick" Hermione chirped in.

"It is but I don't think I will need it during the summer." He answered with a smile.

Marcus turned back towards Ron, who had now finished setting up the chess game.

The rest of the train ride consisted of watching Ron and Marcus playing wizard's chess while Hermione and Neville was talking and Luna was reading. They were both really good and won one set each. The third one took longer and when the train pulled in at King's cross, they were long from finished.