Chapter 14 | Pencil

14

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

"Remember, you have an exam on Monday, bring your ID and a pencil, we expect to see you there," my microbiology professor announces before dismissing us. The students groggily walk out of the classroom and disperse among the campus.

Like every other Monday, I walk to the library and sit down in my corner. Miles has picked up on the days I visit the library to do work, so it's only a matter of time before he shows up. I make sure the tablespace across from me is free from the clutter in case he joins. But I perch my feet on the empty chair so he will have to move them.

It's strange how barely a month ago, I was avoiding him at all costs. Now I'm nervously waiting for him to join me.

Almost on cue, I see the elevator doors open across the room and him standing inside. I gaze down at my books, pretending like I wasn't waiting. On cue, he appears with a stupid smile on his face and asks, "Is this seat taken?"

"Do I know you?"

He grins. "I don't think you do. But I saw you sitting over here, and I couldn't help but want to get to know you."

I turn my attention back to him. "Did you bring a peace offering? I only talk to men who bring me peace offerings," I say with the utmost seriousness.

"One medium regular coffee with one spoonful of sugar and a little creamer?" I bite the inside of my cheek to stifle my smile. "Here you go, Darlin'." He pulls a coffee cup from behind his back and hands it to me. My face defies me and breaks into a huge grin.

"You didn't have to do that for me, but thank you. Now you have permission to sit."

"Thank gosh," he gushes, tossing his backpack on the empty table, and pulls out the chair my feet were resting on. I try not to watch as he digs out his computer and a textbook and places them in front of him.

I focus on my computer screen. I didn't think he noticed my feet fall until I feel his hands reaching under the table for my legs. He pulls them up so my feet rest in his lap, and I smile at the slight gesture.

"So you're going to do work today?" I ask.

He looks at me, heaving a sigh. "Sadly, yeah. I have to pass these exams." I watch as he digs in his bag for what I assume is a pencil. He has the most frustrating look plastered on his face, which is quite adorable.

"Here." I hold my pencil out. He looks up and raises an eyebrow.

"How'd you know I was looking for a pencil?"

I tilt my head upwards, so my nose is in the air, getting ready to mock him. "Have a pencil?" I jeer, trying to mimic his voice.

He stares at me, still confused. But when he realizes what I'm doing, his look turns into a glare. "Hilarious, Bell."

"Sorry, Darlin'." I pick his hand up and place the pencil in his palm.

"For your information, I seriously needed a pencil that day," he clarifies, acting like a child. "Then you got me in trouble."

"That's what you get for being an ass to me."

He shrugs his shoulder, accepting the fact that my point has beaten his.

I take a new pencil out and turn my attention back to my books. I've studied so much lately; I don't think my brain can take anymore. So being the creep I am, I slyly stare at Miles. His eyes fixate on the words in the pages of his book, reading intently.