12

My brothers eyes meet mine as a figure slowly progressed down the alley way we had huddled together in.

"You're sure there isn't anyone with him, right?" I ask my brother, whispering so that the figure wouldn't hear.

"I'll be standing right behind you at all times." Sam smiles and stands behind me. This was just as the face of the figure came clear. His eyes were colder than ever, his jaw bruised and his face tired. "Don't be enticed, remember Cassia." Sam reminds me.

"You left me." The voice muttered, weak.

"You used me. You played me." I scoff and glare at his cold eyes. He moves forward to touch me but I step back. "Get lost, Eric." I can see his face clearly now in the light.

"Cassia. I love you, I always have. What I said to Jeanine was just to stop her suspicions." He tries to bed for fogivness.

"No. If Jeanine finds me now, she won't hesitate to kill me. Not for a second." I spit at the floor. "You've made my life a living hell, Eric Coulter and I will never forgive you. The things you've said and done are unforgettable and unforgivable. I should never have given you so many chances and today I think why didn't I ever want you in the first place. All you are to me now is an evil minded, sick and twisted, Dauntless leader." I rant to him.

"I get it. I do. I'm truly sorry for what I have ever done to you, Cassia. Just promise me something, please." I scoff and look up at him. "Leave Candor tonight. For your own good. Just you." His eyes started to warm as he came closer. I knew that I couldn't fall for his act again.

"I'm not leaving my friends behind." I paused. "I don't let people down." I left him with the hint and walked past him, making sure he got the point.My brother caught up to me as I stormed away from the man I thought would always be mine, would take care of me till I died.

"What's happening at Candor tonight?" Sam asks me, questioning as if I knew.

"You think I know?" I furrow my eyebrows at him.

"You don't have to be an arse about it." He states, stopping in his tracks. I stop myself from walking any further and turn to face my brother.

"Look, how am I supposed to know what's happening at Candor tonight? If anyone knows, it should be you. If I did know, don't you think I'd tell you?" I examined to my brother.

"Well I don't know, you did betray us by leaving Candor." Sam scoffs.

Disgust takes over the expression upon my face.

"Dad used to beat me. The amazing father to you. You were the favourite. Don't deny you didn't hear my cries in the night." I try to hold back all of my anger.

"Cassia stop." He responds.

"No Sam, you always try to deny the fact that Dad hurt me. Well here's a heads up, it happened, frequently." I state, spitting at the floor. "I'm not here to mope about. Time is getting on. You need to be on look out for anything suspicious tonight."

¤

It was around 9pm, people were getting ready to sleep, whereas Sam and I were patrolling each room of Candor. I searched the Dauntless sleeping area for Callan until coming across him, lying motionless in bed.

"Callan, can we talk?" I ask him softly. His eyes float up to meet mine and an instant smile takes pride of place on his face.

"Of course, Cass." He chirps and gets up from his bed.

We walk around Candor for a while until ending up sitting outside on the steps. "So why did we just walk around quietly for an hour?" He asks me, chuckling.

"Just needed time to think." I explained. He looked at me and nodded.

"And, Cass?" He questions.

"I just-" before I could open my mouth to say another word, we heard screaming and gunshots from above. "Shit shit shit." We both shoot up and run into the building.

I remembered, this was why Eric wanted me to get out.

(Libby and Timia, this was uploaded at 11:59 on the 16th March. You're welcome😉)