Mother

Chapter 42

---

Okay this is a quick update because i-don't-know-why-i-write-so-fast-too...

---

Recap: in the previous chapter, Jade stopped taking the poisonous herbal soup and prepared to leave the palace as Crown Prince had finally agreed to let her go. Jade wrote a farewell letter to Third Prince and left Rowena in the palace under Consort Lana. Before Jade leave, Crown Prince gave her his favourite bamboo flute. After three days Jade was gone, Crown Prince pronounced her dead and held a funeral for her, without no one else knowing that Jade was still alive and was only sent away by Crown Prince.

---

How long has it been? Few days, but it feels like forever. Everyday he is only heavily indulging himself in wine and seek comfort in other women to fill up that empty space in his heart, but all to no avail. Everyone blames his drastic change on the Mistress' death, even Empress is taken aback and almost can no longer recognise her own son. He abandons Crown Princess who is still in her pregnancy.

Most importantly, he refuses to attend the Court which creates more reasons for his enemies in the Court to raise problems against him. The Emperor at first pardons him, for he too understands the pain of losing someone he loves very much. However, his empathy soon escalates into disappointment. And that continues for months, even after Third Prince's Consort gives birth to a boy, even after Crown Princess gives birth to a girl, even after the new year is over. Crown Prince is still putting up a protest against his own Mother Empress while waiting for her to realise him behaving in such a improper manner for a Crown Prince. Maybe that adds fuel to the Shine's faction to bring him down, perhaps indeed he should not blame the Empress, but blame himself for he is the one who makes her his Mistress and undergo all those pain she would otherwise not have to go through.

---

"Your Majesty, Crown Prince's behaviour is intolerable! His Highness is definitely not befitting of a Crown Prince!"

"High Minister Shine, ridiculous! Crown Prince is mourning over the deceased Mistress Leanne. Of course His Highness will be extremely sad. His behaviours are justified!"

"High Minister Harv yourself has already mentioned that the deceased is only a mere Mistress and not even a Crown Princess. If Crown Prince is unable to manage his emotions over the death of a mere Mistress, how can fulfil his duties properly as a Crown Prince?"

"It is through this that we are all able to see that Crown Prince is a gentle and loving person and with his good nature, he will definitely be able to fulfil his duties as a Crown Prince. Unless High Minister Shine has a much better candidate in mind to replace Crown Prince?"

"You-!"

"Enough!" The Emperor slams his palm on the wooden table before him, closing his eyes as his head hurts over the quarrel he listens to almost every other time between the two High Ministers. They are both extremely capable, but very lacking in honesty. Being self-centred as they are, they have fought for many years for the Crown Prince position to belong to their own sides.

Eunuch Fan, from behind the throne notices the Emperor's worsening condition which never improves and he lowers his back as he takes three silent steps forward before he screams with his sharp voice.

"Last reports! If none, Court will be dismissed!"

---

In the almost golden palace with red curtains draping from the ceilings, tied to many red pillars coated with gold, a woman rests her body on the long golden phoenix chair, sweating profusely as her mind digests the words reported by her loyal lady-in-waiting. When Lis completes and finishes her very last word, the Empress' complexion turns dark, then followed by pale as a sharp pain on her head shatters her energy. She shuts her eyes tightly and grits her teeth hard while her hand unconsciously moves towards her temples.