Chapter Three (Moving In)

As we stepped outside, I was immediately tackled to the ground in a hug by Mr. Owen's youngest daughter. "Thank you for helping my daddy," she said, still hugging me.

"No problem, honey." I wrapped my arms around her.

"Veronica!" I heard two voices shout, and the young girl was pulled off me as I was being helped to my feet.

"I'm so sorry for my sister's behavior. She tends to tackle people a lot," Cydney said, looking embarrassed.

"Oh, no, it's fine." I waved her off as I looked into Brandy's amused face and his wife's glare.

"Bye, Mr. Owens," I said, taking a hold of Locland's hand and walking out of the police station, hoping never to go there again.

"Could I borrow your phone? I kind of left mine in my Jeep," I asked.

"Yeah sure." He handed me his phone. I dialed my brother's phone number and waited while it rang.

"Hello, this is Aiden. How may I help you?" Aiden asked nicely.

"Hey, Aiden, it's Rayne. I really need to talk to you," I said, feeling a bit traumatized.

"Hey, Sunshine! Where do you wanna meet?" he asked, without hesitation.

"How about Charlie's Diner in twenty minutes?" I suggested, looking over to Locland, and he nodded his head.

"Sure." Aiden replied.

"Also, I have someone with me, someone important, so can you please not embarrass me?" I asked him, noticing Locland's small smile.

"Sure, but if it's a guy, I can't guarantee he is going to leave unharmed." He ended the call, leaving me no time to comment.

"Ugh, stupid brother," I said, handing the phone back to Locland.

"What?" he asked.

"I hope you can handle my brother" was all I said as I walked to his truck and waited for him to open my door and help me in. He gave me a confused look as he got in on his side. We drove the first ten minutes in complete silence.

The radio wasn't on, and the only noise I could hear was the sound of the engine and the whizzing of the cars outside. The silence was starting to make me go insane, so I started to hum one of my favorite songs by Taylor Swift, "Our Song." I saw Locland smile and start to tap his finger on the steering wheel. I started to sing the lyrics without thinking, and when I finished the song, we went back into the dreadful silence.

It didn't last for even one minute before Locland spoke. "Your voice is beautiful." He took my hand in his, making me blush.

"Thanks, but it's nothing compared to Taylor Swift's."

"You're right," he said and I frowned. "It's better," he said, making me smile.

"You're so sweet," I said as we pulled into the diner parking lot.

"I'm only stating the truth, honey." I looked down and felt my cheeks redden. I opened my door to get out of the truck, jumped out, and was met by a very annoyed Loc. "What have I told you about doors, Rayne?" he asked, taking my hand and leading me into the crowded diner.

"Rayne, over here!" Aiden shouted from a booth in the back. I smiled, pulling Loc along with me to the table.

"Hey, Aiden, this is Locland," I said, gesturing to Loc behind me. Aiden took a step closer to Loc and stuck out his hand.

"Aiden Coleman, Rayne's older brother and father figure," he said, giving Loc a death glare.

"Locland Quinn, Sergeant, U.S. Army." I sat down, ignoring both of them, and took a look at the menu.