Hands All Over

I waved Jesse off as he left, while Eric drove out the school, breaking necks on our way to my house.

"Out of all colors, you got yellow. Way to be flashy." I joked.

Unlocking the front door of my house, Eric trailed behind me as I walked to the kitchen to find my mom.

She turned to me with a forced smile, hesitating for a moment as soon as her eyes met Eric's. "Oh, hello there." She stammered.

Eric greeted her with a polite smile, and shook her hand. "I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Eric Laven."

"Nice to meet you, Eric." She smiled bleakly.

Thereafter, the silence grew uncomfortable, "Okay. . . so we're going to get going because we have plans."

"Oh alright, where at?"

"We're going downtown to find my graduation dress." I explained.

She nodded and resumed to cook, "Okay, be back by 9. Use your card, but your budget is under $20."

I let out a laugh, and then it died out when I seen her expression, "Oh, you were serious?"

"If you don't like it, then you could always make your own money." She suggested, "Use your free time doing something productive other than throwing yourself at some rich—"

"Mom, please." I shot out, cutting her off.

Before she could respond, Eric interfered. "The dress is on me."

My mom eyed him, pondering intently. "That's more than kind of you, but I think I could pay for my daughters own expenses."

"It's fine," I interrupted both, "I have some money saved up, I'll just use that."

"No," Eric turned to me, "Keep that for college."

"I can't have you pay for it, they could be so expensive." I shook my head, speaking to Eric.

He pressed on, "Oh, no no. I insist, it'd be no bother." Eric turned his attention to my mom and added, "It was very nice meeting you, Mrs. Deronçais."

I nearly ran out the house in embarrassment. My mom had been so unfriendly to him, I worried that she didn't like him.

Both inside his car, he shut the door and started the engine, revving it as he laughed. "That went well, don't you think?"

*

Arriving downtown, Eric parked on the avenue beside others cars, although his car stood out compared to the neutral colors surrounding his.

He walked by my side, with his eyes wandering to the display windows.

I slipped my hand in his and interlocked fingers. He glanced at me for a fleet second, then his face flushed pink as he bit his lip.

We strolled down the sidewalk, window shopping, until I came across a store with breathtaking dresses scattered inside.