Chapter 33

Chapter 33

"Hi," I said after opening the door. Elliott turned and glanced at me from head to toe, gaping.

"Wow," he said as I stepped out the door. "You look amazing."

I blushed and gazed down at my dress. It was a maroon red, not cut too low, which combined well with my black boots. I zipped up my black leather jacket half way and locked the door behind me, then turned back to him. "Thanks. Ready?"

"Ready."

It took forty-five minutes to get to town. Traffic was slow, mainly because of the on-coming snow storm. The roads were becoming blocked already, and the only sounds were horns honking and people shouting. We finally got to the bar and went inside, grateful for the warmth.

A man, looking a few years older than Elliott, approached us and held out his hand.

"Elliott," he said. Elliott smiled, took the man's hand, and shook it.

"Hello Harry," Elliott said. I scooted closer to Elliott and he tightened his grip around my shoulders.

The man turned and smiled at me, holding out his hand. He smelled of whisky and cheap cologne, but looked nice despite that. He also had a slight Irish accent, which I liked quite a bit. "You must be Avery."

"Yeah," I smiled, taking his hand. He gripped my hand and shook it roughly, then patted me on the shoulder. "It's nice to meet you, Harry."

"And you," he said, nodding. He looked at Elliott and winked. "Got yourself a young one, eh?"

My face grew warm as Elliott laughed. "She looks young, but she's rather feisty."

"Hey!" I protested, trying to hide a smile. Elliott winked down at me and I finally smiled at him.

"This is for you, love," Harry said, taking my wrist. I watched as he put a neon green paper bracelet around my wrist, then let me go. I examined it, and read the big, bold black letters that read: Under 21. "Just in case."

"Thanks," I said.

"Aye." He nodded at us both, then went to greet some of his other friends. Elliott guided me upstairs, which I found to be better than downstairs. Upstairs had a retro theme to it. A red leather couch lined two of the walls, and two pool tables were at the other end. Three plasma screens joined the beer neon signs on the walls, along with posters and pictures. There was railing on one side by the stairs that showed downstairs, which was more of a diner. I preferred upstairs among everything.

"Cool place," I commented. A few people were playing pool, and others were in some of the stools at the tables, drinking beer and talking.

"I thought you'd like it," he said, pulling me to one of the last tables. I took off my jacket and put it on the back of the stool, then sat down across from Elliott.

"Regular drink?" he asked. I nodded and he waved over the waiter. "Two Diet Cokes please." The waiter nodded and walked away again. "Wanna play a game of pool?"

"I've never played," I admitted.

"Never played pool?"

I shook my head, a little embarrassed. 

"That's okay, I'll teach you."

We got up from the table and went to the free pool table. Elliott picked out two pool sticks and set the balls up in a triangle. I stood, holding my stick and watched him carefully. When everything was ready, he came up beside me.

"Okay, this is a game of focus. It's basically geometry and math," he said.

"Great. My worst subject," I said sarcastically.