You can't come uninvited

A/N: this first part is kinda short, but I hope you guys like it! I'll be making a small series out of this, tell me what you think!
Warnings: none
Enjoy!

Newt Scamander was in the middle of his year in the field when he crossed paths with you. He believed the only breeder of Appaloosa Puffskeins lived in New York when he heard your father's name for the first time. Only a handful of people knew about his side work, but you weren't one of them.

Since your mom's passing, your dad decided to keep you away from the wizarding world for your own safety. There were some really bad people around, so for you, your dad was only a wildlife vet who worked at the conservation reserve where you both lived.

"Are you Mr. (L/N)? Cory (L/N)?" Asked Newt when he first arrived at the reserve.

" Yes, and you are...?" You dad shook the hand offered to him.

"Newt Scamander, sir, I heard from a friend you're a breeder of Appaloosa Puffskeins, is that correct?"

"Which friend told you that?"

"Alexander Weasley."

"Walk with me, Mr. Scamander."

Cory led the stranger outside and walked him around the park "That information is, indeed, true, Mr. Scamander. However, you must have realized I'm not famous for that kind of work and there's a reason for that. I'm very selective as to who I hand over my creatures."

"Yes, I understand." Newt said, unconsciously holding his suitcase tighter.

Your father began talking about his work and the reserve but Newt only half listened, for they passed by the lions' enclosure where you played around with two adult males. You've known them since they were cubs, they were one of your closest friends. They rolled around in the dirt and you rolled with them while they jumped on you and joked around.

Newt was completely mesmerized by what he saw. They were muggle creatures, but still beautiful. And the way you worked with them...

"... She'll be showing you around, and she does not know about magic, I would like to keep it that way." He said before both of them stopped in front of the enclosure's door.

You were startled when your dad called after you. You weren't expecting it, mainly because whenever you were with the lions all else seemed... Unimportant.

"Honey, this is Mr. Scamander, he'll be staying with us for a few days."

"Hello, I'm (Y/N)." You said taking a good look at the strange man before you. He looked down, letting his golden hair fall in front of his eyes. He was tall and quite young. It occasionally happened that some random person - usually older - would show up and stay for a while, for various reasons it seemed. You wondered what brought that peculiar man to your reserve.

"Hello" he said rather shyly, showing off his British accent, "It's nice to meet you, (Y/N)".

"Take good care of our guest, will you?" Your father instructed before leaving.

"So, Mr. Scamander..." You began, stepping outside the enclosure.

"Call me Newt." He said.

"Okay, Newt, what brings you to our park?" You asked while taking him to where he would be staying.

"Well, I'm, hum, writing a book. Yes, a book about creatures and why people should protect them and not kill them." He said, keeping the magical contents out.

"A conservation book? That's pretty cool. There are a bunch of myths that need to be broken, I hope you'll be able to break them." You said sweetly.

"Breaking stereotypes, like how you do with those lions? I must say I was rather impressed." He said, making you blush.

"Lions are incredible, they're highly intelligent and sociable animals. Actually easier to associate with than humans... People don't know that about them, all they see are teeth and claws. Maybe you could put it in your book."  You said, making him smile to the ground. He had a nice smile, you noticed.

You got to the main house and into one of the guest rooms." Here you go... You got a bed and a bathroom, you should be pretty comfortable here. My room is three doors down, in case you need anything."

"Yes, thank you."

"Make yourself at home." You said "dinner's at seven."