Chapter 20 - Heart

I gaze at my living room, and the sight makes me happy. My parents and my brother with his family are settled with drinks. My baby nephew sleeps in my dad's arms. The boys are glued to their tablets and are quiet. The fire is lit, a playlist of movie soundtracks plays in the background, and the atmosphere is cozy.

I did my best to remove all the cat hair from the couch and chairs. But Batman just crawled on my mom's lap and is purring happily while she caresses him. I see tufts of white hair falling on her dark skirt, but she doesn't seem to mind.

My birthday and Thanksgiving fell on the same day this year. I invited my family to celebrate both occasions. My mom found me daring and offered to make the turkey. I refused, but she looked relieved when I said Taylor would help me with cooking.

"I don't understand all the fuss. You season the damn bird and put it in the oven. It's no science," Taylor says while he takes a sweet potato casserole dish from the bottom of the oven.

"I know. I'm not a chef, but I can read a recipe. Is my food so bad they don't trust me?"

"It tastes good, and you haven't poisoned me yet. I trust your cooking. I guess they see you ordering food often and think you can't cook,"

"That must be it. It's that cooking for one person is not appealing,"

"I can relate. The pizza parlor people recognize my number already," he chuckles.

"Lisa invited her date. I'm wondering if he will come. They have gone out a few times. She is smitten with the mystery man,"

"I'm still betting he is Pasty Axel from the supermarket," Taylor laughs while checking the turkey for the last time.

"Oh God, can you imagine? Maybe she got him to wear bronzer to make him look healthier," I help him to take out the heavy pan and place it on the stove.

"You are so mean Nina. Any word from Nash?"

"Yeah, he apologized for falling asleep and asked me out again. I declined politely. As much as I like gaming, having my life turn around games is not my kind of fun,"

"Can I date him?" Taylor grins cheekily.

"Help yourself,"

The doorbell rings, and I head to open it. Lisa stands outside with a few boxes of pie.

"Happy birthday, sis!" she gives me a hug while balancing the desserts in one hand.

"Where is your date?" I look around for him.

"He celebrates Thanksgiving with his family first and then has another event to attend,"

"Too bad. I wanted to meet him,"

"There will be other occasions," she winks at me.

Lisa looks... relaxed and happy. I've never seen her this way. She is always edgy and suspicious of her guys. It seems as if this man has blown serenity in her.

"Are you dating Pasty Axel?"

My sister looks confused.

"Who is that?"

"Date number one. The guy Mom brought to lunch for me,"

"God no! Do you call him like that?" she laughs. "He could do with a bit of bronzer,"

Taylor gives me the signal that the food is ready. I invite the family to the table we improvised in the large farm kitchen. Everything looks and smells delicious.

"Look at this bounty. You kids outdid yourselves," Mom says with delight.

We all take our places, and the happy clatter of plates and spoons begins. My sister in law suggests we open a restaurant. Elijah takes three helpings of everything. I look at Taylor in front of me and feel grateful for him. He looks more handsome than ever. His hair is short now, and his cheeks have a pinkish tint from the cooking efforts. He smiles at me, and suddenly I feel shy, so I stare at my plate.