12.

❝Been spending most of their lives living in a Gangsta's paradise.❞

Everything that Genevieve told was a lot to digest. My questions have been answered, somewhat. But now I have been thrown into something I didn't ask to be apart of. But I knew that this was destined to happen, that it was inevitable and I couldn't run away from it. This is my reality, I am a doppelgänger, there is woman who going to try and kill me. And I have stop her but first I have to do something. I contemplated the effects on what I was about to do, whether I would ruffle a few feathers but I knew that this the right thing to do.

The sun was beginning to set as I drove to the compound. I had butterflies my stomach as I shut the door to my car. In my mind I didn't feel nervous but stomach was twisting and turning, while my palms were sweaty so much I had to wipe them on my jeans as I crossed the street. I inhaled and exhaled in efforts to calm my wild nerves before walking inside of the compound. A ray of light shined on some of the cobble on the floor, ironically in front of the same brick wall that Marcel was incased in.

Before I could actually help him, I needed to get through the brick. I searched around, trying to find any tools that were left behind the day Marcel was stabbed because by the way the brick looked, the it was fairly new. I checked behind some of the brick columns then in the corner laid some bricks, used mortar and a chisel. I shook my head, Katherine and the rest of the witches were smart but not that careful. I jogged over grabbing the chisel and hustling back to Marcel.

I looked deeply in his eyes, "I'm going to get you out of here." I whispered.

I began chiseling in between the brick. Thank god it was only up to Marcel's waist, so it would be too much for me to get through. After chiseling several times some bricks started to become loose, that I could pull them off. I grabbed forcefully some of the bricks ripping them off. One by one bricks came tumbling down echoing through the compound. Enough bricks had been chiseled and fallen away that it down to his ankles, it would be easier for me to get him out.

I dropped the chisel and reached inside  grabbing his shoulder, tipping him forward. He fell forward into my arms with heavy impact. It fell like 200 pounds of almost dead weight on my arms. I struggled to turn his body around so his back can lay on me instead of his face. I ended up mustering up enough strength to flip him over. I had the drag him some feet to the stairs. I leaned his body over the railing that way it would be easy for me to get him up the stairs.

Planting both of my hand on his side I began pushing him up the staircase. When I reached top grabbed his torso and dragged him to his room. I kicked open the doors to Marcel's room. Lifting his body up onto his bed, I then hoisted his legs up that way he could lay completely on the bed.

My heart was thumping against my chest, and my breaths were short. I wiped away a bead of sweat that dripped down my forehead. I took of my jacket off, laying it on one of the chairs in the room. I remember from the night that the knife was inside of him, I just had to figure out where. I searched around something sharp. I walked towards his desk spotting a letter opener, grabbing it quickly.

I reached for the hem of Marcel's shirt, rolling it up and taking it off of him. He laid there my eyes immediately drawn to the veiny red line vertically on his chest and stomach area. I took a deep breath before I glided the opener across the line. The skin was so sensitive that it easily cut open and exposed the inside of his stomach. I closed my eyes as I reached my right arm inside. I could feel his bodily organs as I fished around for the knife. I felt the handle of the knife, wrapping my hand around it I pulled it towards the opening of the body.

Most of arms and hand were completely covered in blood when I was finished. Marcel gasped loudly, collapsing back on the bed. The feeling of relief fell over me as I searched for the ballroom. I let the warm water from the sink wash the blood off of the knife and off my arm. I grabbed a towel wiping the knife and my arm dry. I skipped the knife underneath my belt of my jeans, concealing it with my t shirt. I ran one of the washcloths with some warm water bringing it with me back into the room.

Gently I placed the washcloth across Marcel's forehead. I slowly sauntered onto the balcony, leaning against the railing watching the sun set. I chuckled to myself recalling the recent events. It's been a roller coaster ever since I came to New Orleans. One thing after another happened, watching a young woman's life being taken away, meeting Marcel, my partner being bit by a vampire, finding out that my very own aunt is a witch and most of all discovering that I am a doppelgänger. I have a path to follow and things to figure out and finish. And after all of this I have changed, for the better. In the back of my mind I am preparing  myself for the future.

I heard the creak in the bed and rumbling, coming from the bedroom. I walked back inside to see Marcel attempting to get out of bed.

"Hold on cowboy, not just yet. You need rest." I told him pushing him back on the bed

"I need, to-"

"You don't need to do anything, but stay in the damn bed and rest." I said sternly

He reluctantly laid my back down on the bed. A slight breeze flew the room, causing goosebumps on my arms. I rubbed my arms looking out towards the balcony. I could feel Marcel was staring at me during it.

"Why did you help me?" He said lowly

I turned my head, looking at him.

"Honestly?"

"Honestly."

I walked over, sitting next to him on the bed.

"Because I saw something in you. Something human. I saw light inside of you, and I know deep way deep inside you have good in you. So I took a leap of faith."

He reached out grabbing my hand. Looking deep into my eyes, almost piercing my soul.

"Thank you."

I smiled, for the first time in a long time, genuinely.

"Your welcome." I replied back intertwining my fingers with his

"You're a strong woman, Alex. Don't let anyone change that."

Those words stuck with me, repeating them as I watched the sun begin to go down. Bursts of oranges and pinks dancing across the incoming evening sky.

'  Your strong woman, Alex.
Don't let anyone change that. '