Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Hailey

I opened the front door quietly, praying that everyone was busy and wouldn't notice my stealthy entrance. Of course, no such luck.

"Where the hell have you been?" David demanded of me almost immediately, waiting in the foyer for me with a handful of other hunters, including a smug-looking Joel.

Sighing, I ran my hand through my hair and crossed my arms over my chest, "Listen, I just needed to take a beat and catch my breath. It's been nothing but chaos here for, like, the past couple weeks. Excuse me if I just wanted to get out for a little bit."

"Whatever," David said, although his eyes remained narrowed into slits as he stared at me skeptically. "We're all going out to get a lay of the land, and you're going to lead us."

Shit.

I walked forward, making my way to the stairs, "Why do I have to get a lay of the land? I've been hunting here for a couple months already, I'm fine."

"Well, sugar, we need you to show us where to go and where not to go," a hillbilly-looking hunter stated. He gave me a once over with his eyes and it took everything in me not to fully gag and barf all over him at that. Forcing the lump down my throat, I continued upstairs, but Joel's voice forced me to freeze when I was halfway up there, "Where are you going?"

"To get ready," I stated without looking back and I continued up the stairs at a normal pace. Once I got into my room, I locked the door behind me and pulled out my phone, immediately texting Chase

Stay inside tonight. All of you.

Quickly powering my phone down, I stuffed it in a shoebox in the closet and changed into my hunting gear, spraying the odorless "perfume" on myself, though not necessarily as heavily as I normally would. Braiding my hair, I grabbed my quiver and bow from its shelf and holstered a few knives on my body for decoration. Taking in one last deep breath, I unlocked my door and opened it, slowly descending down the stairs.

"About damn time," one of the men grumbled and I shot him a menacing look.

"Just be glad I'm doing this at all." Without saying another word, I opened the back door and stepped out, pacing it through the back yard and into the trees. I was almost immediately followed by the pack of twenty or so men.

Gee, that's not suspicious at all.

Each and every one of them followed my every move and it unnerved me. I didn't like being watched and I especially didn't like being watched closely by so many people. Not that it made me feel self conscious or insecure, but rather uneasy, as though I'm susceptible to an attack at any moment.

The padding of paws reached my ears and I hesitated, knowing that soon the rest of the men would hear it too.

Covering up my misstep, I coughed softly into my elbow. If anything, it would be a warning to the wolf nearby. They aren't alone.

David stepped up right behind me, grabbing my elbow tightly. He yelled at me in a whisper, "What the hell was that?"

"There was something in my throat," I stated lowly, gritting the words through my teeth. "Now let. Go. Of. Me."

Reluctantly, he released my arm and I continued leading them forward, until I saw what I had been dreading in front of me. Dropping to a crouch on instinct, I stared at the dirty blond wolf in front of us. It was average size, no one of any major importance to the infrastructure of the pack, but still. It was a member of Chase's pack, and it was going to die now.

Looking back, I saw the men were all in a crouch as well, staring at me expectantly. They wanted to see what "Artemis" was capable of.

Joel nudged me from my left side, "Well? We're waiting. We all want to see if you're as good as you claim to be."

Rolling my eyes, I pulled out my bow and notched an arrow in it before slowly rising and moving silently through the trees, keeping the wolf in sight. My aim was set on its head, the middle right in the brain. Make it quick and painless, don't let it suffer.

Just as I thought that, the wolf perked it's head up, looking in my direction. It must have caught my scent.

Now or never.

Drawing the string back, I breathed before releasing my fingers, watching the arrow fly before hearing and seeing it hit its mark perfectly with a sickening thud. The wolf didn't even have time to howl or whimper before it was dead.

Just after it seemed like Chase and I would be in a good place, as well as with the rest of the pack, I had to go and do something like this.

The men behind me cheered, jumping up and charging at the wolf, taking their knives to it and skinning it. Rolling the fur pelt from its body. They would undoubtedly take the meat as well. Disgusting pigs-- and they call the wolves the savages.

I remained in the same position, watching their animalistic ferocity come to life as the all but butchered the poor wolf.

There would be nothing left to bury.

David came up beside me, "You look appalled."

"I am," I stated simply, before turning and making my way back to the house.

I climbed up the steps slowly and entered my room, closing the door behind me. Jumping, I stifled a scream by clamping my hand over my mouth as I took in the sight in front of me. Chase stood there, a furious expression on his face. Dropping my bow, I closed my eyes.

I deserve what's coming to me.

~
a/n: dun dun dun! Yikeso Hailey killed another wolf :( wonder what's gonna happen now.... ;)

QOTC: Is Chase going to hurt Hailey for what she did?

AOTC: depends on what she actually did ;)