Chapter 34

Apparently there was an issue for people who couldn't see chapter 34, so let's try this again :)

Chapter 34

Chase

Gran smiled at me from across the table, "Tell me what's wrong, boy."

I sighed, taking a sip of the coffee she made for me, "It's my mate."

At this her eyebrows rose and she smacked me across the table, "Chase Edison Morgan! You found your mate and didn't tell me immediately? How dare you! I'm fuming-- I'm beyond furious at the moment!"

"Oh, give him a break, dear," Pops came into the room, kissing her temple. "He's an Alpha, he has many responsibilities to take care of other than telling you about his mate."

"Thanks Pops," I smiled at him.

He sat down next to Gran, "Now that that's out of the way, tell us everything about her."

I chuckled, "Well, her name's Hailey Argent. She just moved here a couple months ago. She has really pretty brown hair and eyes to match. She's funny and has a laugh that sounds like angels singing. She's almost completely perfect."

"Almost?" Gran questioned.

Sighing, I took another sip of coffee, "She's also Artemis, the huntress."

Upon hearing that news, the two of them gasped at the same time. Gran frowned and reached out, offering me her hand. I accepted and she smiled sadly, "It sounds to me like you love her, my boy."

"I do," I nodded, "I really do. But half of the pack hates her still for what she did. I mean, she killed my pack members. What am I supposed to do with that? If I caught anyone else who had even harmed a pack member I would've killed them on the spot.

Hailey is everything I've ever wanted. But she's killed people in the pack that she's destined to be Luna of. I just don't know how we're supposed to move past this."

"Is she done hunting?" Pops asked.

I nodded, "Yeah. She's been helping us with the hunter's plans. They're bringing in every available hunter to take us down, apparently. It's going to be an all out war."

"Then all you have to do is prove to your pack that she is on your side, as your mate and Luna," Gran squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Now, you obviously are aware that I must meet this Hailey as soon as possible. She sounds like a sweet girl, other than her murderous tendencies."

I laughed at that, "She is. She's really great."

Pops chuckled, "Boy, you are in deep with this girl."

"I don't see any problem with that," Gran stated, pulling her hand away from mine as she turned to look at her mate and husband.

They began bantering and I smiled at them in adoration. They've been together so long, and yet they're still so in love. It's the mate bond, I suppose, although there was definitely an element of just being together for a long time and learning to live with and love each other. At the same time, they made me sad. Gran looked just like an older version of my mother, and every time I see her, I just think of my parents' murder every time.

Maybe that's why I don't come down here as much as I should, because as much as I love the two of them, it hurts too much. Way too much.

Just as I was about to speak up, my phone vibrated and I checked the text that I had receive from Hailey.

Stay inside. All of you.

Furrowing my brows, I texted her back and noticed that none of them were delivering. She must have shut her phone off.

Calling Luke, I sighed in relief when he answered almost right away, "Hello?"

"Luke, it's me. Listen, I just got a text from Hailey telling me to keep everyone inside. I need you to let everyone know that we're going on lockdown for the night. Say it's a drill but it's imperative for them to follow instruction. I'll be there soon."

"Got it," he answered and I hung up the phone, looking up to a concerned Gran and Pops.

I smiled and stood up, "Duty calls."

Giving them both hugs, a peck on the cheek for Gran and a promise to bring Hailey over soon, I took off from the house, running back down the familiar path to my territory.

My nose found them before my eyes did. Even though I wasn't in wolf form, I could still smell the hunters-- or rather, the lack of scent. I could also smell a hint of Hailey. She must've not put on enough spray; a warning to me, perhaps. Creeping slowly through the trees, I swore internally as I took in the sight before me. Hailey stood hidden in the bushes, arrow drawn and aimed at a wolf.

The stench told me it was a rogue, most likely taking an advantage of the lockdown and lack of patrol of the territory. Looking at Hailey's face, I could see the struggle in her eyes as she stared at the wolf in front of her. There were probably twenty or so men behind her, all in a crouch and watching. Then, suddenly, she released the arrow and it hit its mark perfectly, dropping the wolf in seconds. She killed a wolf.

She didn't change at all.

Keeping my growl at bay, I snuck off as the men cheered and began attacking the wolf with their knives. Running full sprint, I made it to her house in no time, easily swinging myself up to the second floor and through the window into her room.

Somehow, despite my anger with her, her scent in the bedroom calmed me, eased my anger.

Clenching and unclenching my fists, I looks up with anger in my eyes as she threw the door open and shut it behind her, locking it. When she turned around, it was obvious that she hadn't noticed me at first as she jumped, dropping her bow to the ground.

Closing her eyes, I stared at her in a mixture of anger and confusion.

Peeling them open, she spoke hoarsely to me, "I'm guessing you're pretty angry with me."

She lied about not hunting anymore.

"I'm a little more than angry, Hailey," I growled.

Hailey nodded, "Okay, so let's settle this, then."

I nodded in agreement, my fists clenched, "Let's."

~
a/n: okay so I decided to double update because I love you all and I had time to do so. So, enjoy this sort of cliffhanger (again)

Also, we're almost to the good part ;) I have a number of plot twists still planned for you all!