27

Driving

Driving

The group sped away from the scene of the explosion, trying to get away as quickly as possible. They knew the sound of the explosion and the fire would draw walkers near. They didn't want to be there for that.

Natalie pulled her knees back into her chest and cried silently into them.

Shane couldn't bring himself to comfort her because he was so pissed at her.

"How could you do that, Nat?" Shane asked suddenly.

"I just want it to stop hurting," Natalie whispered into her knees.

"You just have to keep fighting, Nat," Shane said.

"I don't know if I can," Natalie said quietly, her voice breaking.

"Why not?" Shane snapped.

"I don't have anything to fight for anymore. So what's the point? You should've just left me. It would've been better for everyone," Natalie said quietly.

"And how's that?" Shane snapped, trying not to raise his voice at her.

"It would be one less thing you have to feel guilty about. With me out of the picture, it's only Rick that stands in the way of you and Lori. It would've been better," Natalie said quietly, tears streaming down her face.

"What makes you think I still want Lori?" Shane snapped.

"I see the way you look at her. You used to look at me like that," Natalie said softly.

Shane was silent. He looked away from Natalie and glued his eyes to the road in front of him.

"You love her. And I get that now. I'm just a piece of the past. And that's okay. We're all becoming new people. And if the new Shane wants to be with Lori, I just have to accept that. I'm not gonna try and stop it anymore. I'm gonna be okay without you," Natalie said strongly, wiping her tears away.

Shane just remained silent.

"I'm not crazy, you know," Natalie said.

"Did I say you were?" Shane snapped.

"Oh please, Shane. We've been married for 16 years. I can read your mind. You're thinking it," Natalie sighed.

"And so what if I am?" Shane snapped.

"I made a choice. And you just couldn't accept that. I get why you did it," Natalie said.