Epilogue

Song above: Phases by PRETTYMUCH, if you don't stan them already, you should. Join the BEANZ. ANYWAY, here's the final portion of the story :) I hope you enjoy it. There won't be a sequel beyond this story and I'm probably not going to write any bonus chapters.

+

Silvia's P.O.V.

THE NIGHT OF PROM

"I'm not getting in the car," I said, eyes shut and nose raised to the sky. All night, Dakota was lip locked with secrecy and averting every question with jokes, making it hard for me to unearth the plans he had set for us. I still had an inkling that he was going to drive me to Crescent High's prom. But I kept brushing that off as possible, given that he promised me he wasn't. Even though Finn hasn't been in Crescent High for a month, finishing off his senior year at a continuation school just like Beth and Carmen, I still didn't have an interest in going to Crescent High.

"Tell me, Dakota," I demanded. I was keeping my guard up. "You told me to dress formal, and I did. Now, tell me, why do I have to dress this nice if we aren't going to prom?"

"I'm not going to tell you. What fun would that be?" He went in front of me, opening the car door and gesturing me for to go inside. I didn't move. "We have to get there on time or they're going to be mad."

"They?" I echoed. "So, we're meeting up with people?"

He over-dramatically gasped, putting his hand to his mouth. "I said too much."

"You haven't said enough."

His shoulders slumped. "Please, Silvia. Can you get in the car? Don't you trust me?"

I muffled a reply, kicking my skirt up and going into the passenger seat. The more we fought over this, the more times would be lost. Dakota's punctuality was a trait I didn't share and knew how much he cherished. For that reason, I got in to the car and buckled up for the ride. I didn't have enough fight in me. I was anxious—the good kind. Elation, coupled with my nerves, simmered in my veins as we drove to our destination. I wanted Dakota to give me more hints, but he held off my attempts with music. He flipped on the radio, turning it up loud enough to where he couldn't hear me.  

The pop song that rang through the air, in a way, chilled my nervousness while we drove with our windows down, speeding up California highway. I wasn't in the mood to turn it off and grill Dakota for more answers. He wasn't going to tell me anything.

"Wait," Dakota shouted and pointed to the glove compartment, motioning for me to grab at it. I opened it and a cassette tape fell out. "Put it in."

I removed it out of its case, smiling to see that it was a duplicate of the tapes he made for my birthday. The index card matched the mixtape for 'For When You Forget How Much I Love You.' With a grin frozen on my face, I popped it in and pressed play. Dakota's eyes hit mine, screaming-singing the opening song, gripping my thigh the entire time. I threw my head back, laughing at the way he was making himself sound horrible despite knowing how to sing. I wanted to so desperately press pause on this fun time with the two of us living our lives—loving life without considering how we had a little less than a month together. My soaring heart dipped, devastated at the number of days that meant we had. Out of habit, I began to count. But I didn't let the fear fester into a beast bigger than itself. I pushed it down and joined along to Dakota's bad singing, shouting the lyrics.

Dakota's car exited the highway, entering a town I didn't recognize the name of. We were closer to the mountains, acting as a shield against the setting sun. The sky melted in to a blissful twilight, coloring the glass on buildings with a brush of fuchsia. Dakota lowered the volume of the music, entering a dirt path that led up to the mountains.