22 • Life in the Mansion

This chapter is more narrative than dialogue and I'm honestly sorry if it comes off as a bore but trust me when I say that its all really important. They add to who she is building up to as a person and even tho you don't see it now, the details will eventually play a role in the last parts of the story...

Right then, enjoy reading!

---

Once Eva had stripped off her school uniform and slipped into home clothes, she made her way to the kitchen downstairs

She had actually decided what it was that she was going to prepare for dinner whilst sitting on the bleachers when she wasn’t telling Maite how delusional she was being about trying to crack open Eva’s walls of steel.

Her eyes flitted towards the clock in the hall as she passed it on her way to the kitchen; it was a reflex that was born out of the constant panic of being even a minute late and enraging Logan. He needed the dining table set when he got home, and Eva had learnt the harsh way to live up to that expectation.

The cicatrices of cigarette burns on her arms served as a constant reminder.

She shut her eyes, attempting to close off her mind to the memory of the awful white-hot scalding pain that had flowed through her skin.

Eva forced herself into the kitchen, compelling her body to go through with the motions while hoping against hope that her mind would eventually follow suit. It was one thing to live through all of it, a wholly other thing for her to relive them mentally.

Opening the fridge, she took out the plastic container in which she’d stored the corned beef she’d made in the morning before going to school. But then, remembering that she didn’t need it right now since it was going to be used for the filling, she placed it back into the refrigerator. What she needed to do now was make the starter and let it rise.

Turkish Bread was one of her favourites and thankfully Logan happened to enjoy it too which meant that Eva got to make it quite often.