Newt Scamander - Gift

Newt had not been saying much during dinner. He had avoided your glance, but once in a while he had smiled that charming half smile you had once fallen in love with.

"Newt?" You cleaned the table and stared at the packages under the Christmas tree. "Maybe we should exchange our gifts?"

"I'll go first!" Newt stood up from his chair and her nervously scratched the back of his neck. "I really hope you'll like it..." He licked his lips while he gave you a small package with a golden ribbon tied around it.

"I'm sure I will." You smiled and you carefully took the gift from him.

"No, wait!" Newt shook his head. "I...I really want to say something before you open it." He cleared his throat and he swallowed a few times. "Thank you for staying with me and my...my beasts. I know it's not always easy." He smiled once more and you nodded.

"I love you AND your beasts." You pecked his cheek and untied the ribbon before you unwrapped the small package. "You're very welcome." You stopped breathing when you held a small black box. Your heart was racing in your chest when you clicked it open, but you raised your eyebrows when you discovered that it was empty.

"O no..." Newt shook his head. "I'm so terribly sorry! I should keep an eye on that niffler." He took a deep breath. "You know what. I'm gonna go find it and get your present back. I'm really sorry. It shall never happen again." He turned around and you grinned. He kept on promising that it would never happen again, but to be honest, you liked it like this.