"guys like you"

1: guys like you

"Maya!" I slowly opened my eyes as I heard my name being yelled from downstairs and immediately squinted my eyes and furrowed my eyebrows. It was the morning, I could tell, and I was praying it was the weekend.

"Maya, you'll be late for school!" My dad yelled and I groaned loudly as I found I was wrong. "Come on, it's Friday! You're almost completely done with the week, don't give up yet!" I laughed quietly at my dad's words and slowly sat up. "Are you up?"

"Yes!" I yelled, wishing he'd just leave me be. I continued to laugh, but got out of bed. As soon as my feet hit the ground, a soft something walked through my legs and I smiled as I bent down to see my cat, Oscar. "Good morning, baby," I cooed as I picked him up. I began to scratch behind his ears as I walked toward the door and slowly opened it. I kissed him on the head and put him on the floor, letting him run out of my room and downstairs.

I closed my door back and locked it, needing to change.

I proceeded to my closet to find an outfit and it took me at least five minutes just to pick what top I wanted to wear. I just decided to go with a sweater and some leggings; it was Friday after all. I didn't have the necessary energy to put in any actual effort.

I grabbed the biggest and comfiest sweater that I owned and slipped it on over my head. I jumped into a pair of leggings and felt surprisingly put together. I grabbed some socks and sat on my bed as I put them on my feet.

I leaned over and grabbed my phone from my nightstand and took my time to go through my notifications. Most of them were texts from Sam, a couple were texts from my Dad from the night before, and the rest were Twitter notifications.

I got out of my bed and half-heartedly made it, wanting it to look nice when I got back from school, but also not wanting to spend too much time. I made my way over to my vanity and did a simple makeup look. I took my naturally wavy hair out of the ponytail I slept in and played around with it for awhile before putting it back in a pony tail.

Once I was done, I turned off my vanity light, grabbed my phone, and left my room.

I skipped down my stairs as I got to the end of the hallway and made my way into the kitchen, figuring my dad was making breakfast.

"Good morning," I greeted my dad as I stepped into the kitchen. "What's for breakfast?"

"French toast," he told me and as I saw the glorious breakfast in front of me I practically began to drool.

"What's the bad news?" I asked him and watched as his face twisted into confusion. "You didn't make my favorite breakfast without a catch."

"Yes, I did," he told me, laughing suspiciously as he continued to make the eggs. "Why would there be a catch?"

"Because I don't trust you," I told him and his dark brown eyes rolled. I had my dad's eyes; it was amusing to see his eyes roll because I could only imagine how mine looked when I constantly rolled them. "Seriously, dad, what is it?"

"Maya, nothing," he told me, shaking his head.

"Dad, tell me now or accept the consequences when I find out later," I told him and he sighed under his breath, confirming that there was something he needed to tell me.

"It's not bad," he told me as he looked over at me. "I'm going out of town for a week, for work."

"Oh," I replied, becoming slightly discouraged.